Platinum - 400HP Rating?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mr_dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There is no replacement for displacement.

Until you weigh the pros/cons relative to 85% of the buyer's utility requirements, it becomes apparent that the HO engines are marketing's fantastic ability to convince people they don't want to be "that person" with less power.

The biggest driver for smaller engine displacement is our good 'ol government's EPA mileage and emissions requirements. But yes, marketing definitely takes full advantage of turbo tuning and fuel requirement games to "beat" competitors, even if it sacrifices everyday usability.

sixstring

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would much rather have a 6 cylinder ecoboost in an expy than a 5.4 triton.

The ecoboost horsepower and torque advantages are significant.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The biggest driver for smaller engine displacement is our good 'ol government's EPA mileage and emissions requirements. But yes, marketing definitely takes full advantage of turbo tuning and fuel requirement games to "beat" competitors, even if it sacrifices everyday usability.

With gas up here at 4.70-4.80 for premium, you start feeling the 2-4 mpg difference.

jjscsix

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 400HP and 440HP version of this engine certainly does not put out the full rated HP when running on 87 fuel, that is alluded to in this statement from above.
I dint know how much the engine puts out with one or the other, but I do not see that as alluding that it puts out less power with regular fuel. Ford recommends regular and they rate a platinum at 400 Hp. To me that says it puts out rated power with recommended fuel.

What they say is that the engine runs better in hot weather and heavy loads with premium. Hot weather in particular causes power to go down all else being equal. Simple physics, less oxygen.

I think It’s more likely that on premium it does not lose power under certain circumstances because the engine will not pull boost to keep it from detonating under more severe conditions.

My main reason for believing the 400 is on regular fuel is simply that is the recommended fuel. Some companies, like Geneses and Mazda tell you that premium is the recommended fuel but you can safely on lower octane but it will reduce power, and some even tell you what the lower power will be.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I dint know how much the engine puts out with one or the other, but I do not see that as alluding that it puts out less power with regular fuel. Ford recommends regular and they rate a platinum at 400 Hp. To me that says it puts out rated power with recommended fuel.

What they say is that the engine runs better in hot weather and heavy loads with premium. Hot weather in particular causes power to go down all else being equal. Simple physics, less oxygen.

I think It’s more likely that on premium it does not lose power under certain circumstances because the engine will not pull boost to keep it from detonating under more severe conditions.

My main reason for believing the 400 is on regular fuel is simply that is the recommended fuel. Some companies, like Geneses and Mazda tell you that premium is the recommended fuel but you can safely on lower octane but it will reduce power, and some even tell you what the lower power will be.

The 375hp, or 400hp, or 440hp, depending on your trim and engine is with 91+ octane fuel (the actual SAE I believe nets out around 92 octane)
All tests and HP/TQ ratings are with the higher octane.
You can safely run the 3.5TT down to 87 octane with no issues, the engine will dial back the timing automatically. HP, Torque, and fuel economy are reduced by roughly 10%.
Keep in mind, timing reductions are not consistent for the entire power band, it is most noticeable in higher RPM scenarios or when engine load is high.

GixxerJasen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford recommends regular and they rate a platinum at 400 Hp. To me that says it puts out rated power with recommended fuel.

What they say is that the engine runs better in hot weather and heavy loads with premium.
What they say, exactly from the current owners manual, is below. They say it'll operate at regular, but recommend premium.

Your vehicle operates on regular unleaded gasoline with a minimum pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87.

For best overall vehicle and engine performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended. The performance gained by using premium fuel is most noticeable in hot weather as well as other conditions, for example when towing a trailer. See Towing a Trailer.

We recommend Top Tier detergent gasolines, where available to help minimize engine deposits and maintain optimal vehicle and engine performance.

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Regarding that article @mr_dave posted, I just read another talking about these new standards. The big three say there's almost no way they can meet those future standards. Of course, they might be crying wolf, but we all know who will pay for it.

mr_dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Regarding that article @mr_dave posted, I just read another talking about these new standards. The big three say there's almost no way they can meet those future standards. Of course, they might be crying wolf, but we all know who will pay for it.

Not to get too far off topic, but my view on these unattainable standards is that they're quite a bit more nefarious than simply being "green." Think about how EVs actually work. They all need a significant amount of electricity (which can be monitored and controlled remotely at scale) and they are all permanently connected to LTE/5G/wifi (which allows the vehicles themselves to be monitored and controlled remotely at scale).

Think about all of the new taxes they could come up with having that information and control! Or maybe they want to implement some sort of Singapore-style time/day windows that limit when you can use your own car. Or maybe you said something on Facebook they didn't like. Now think about how a future lockdown situation might work if everyone was forced to drive EVs...

jjscsix

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 375hp, or 400hp, or 440hp, depending on your trim and engine is with 91+ octane fuel (the actual SAE I believe nets out around 92 octane)
All tests and HP/TQ ratings are with the higher octane.
You can safely run the 3.5TT down to 87 octane with no issues, the engine will dial back the timing automatically. HP, Torque, and fuel economy are reduced by roughly 10%.
Keep in mind, timing reductions are not consistent for the entire power band, it is most noticeable in higher RPM scenarios or when engine load is high.
I understand what mine is rated at. That’s not what I was saying. Sorry for confusion. How do you know it’s rated at higher octane. Normal practice is to rate at recommended fuel. That is 87 octane on the expedition.