Platinum trim level?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Limited may be close, but it is not the same. There are many more standard features that you get on a Platinum over a Limited. On the Limited you would have to pay for those, and in the end, you will still have a Limited. My friend wanted to save money so he ordered an XLT with every optional upgrade, there is info online on how to order. He was still missing items like the upgraded sound system, enhanced leather steering wheel, LED lights, extra horsepower, suspension, enhanced interior and upgraded leather seating, etc. When he traded it in for a Platinum, he still had an XLT, and took a hit.
The extra horsepower and ccd has its benefits, especially with the tow package. The torque with extra hp and better gear ratio is scary fast, especially in sport mode. And the handling with ccd is smooth or tight when wanted. There really isn't an "all things equal". You will get close but not exact, as I tried.
When I went shopping, I started with an XLT with leather, because I had an Excursion XLT. My Excursion had a lot of addon features that I did over the years, like stereo system, 22" polished wheels with 285/45/22 Michelin Defender tires to name some. After extensive research, I came to realize that the Platinum came with all the features I wanted and then some, for very close to adding most of them on a lessor expensive model. And I would still have to modify certain items to achieve what comes standard with the Platinum.
Regarding the tow package, I have it, but it is hit and miss on stock inventory and an addon if ordered. I've never used it but like it for the extra cooling and gear.
I'm not downplaying any model Expedition, as they are all great vehicles. I'm just trying to answer the OP's question accurately. However, if you don't care about all those features, purchase a lessor expensive model and save money. I admit there are a lot of items I could do without, but I love and use them all, especially on trips.

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Or, if that's all you'd upgrade for...you could buy a slew of Platinum steering wheels with the money you saved as they're matching parts.
I think the biggest reason, other than so many features, is RESALE. They are more money when you purchase and get more money when you sell. Of course, this would be apples to apples condition and mileage.
Here are the differences according to Ford:
the top-tier Expedition Platinum offers you everything the Limited does, including the optional features, plus additional ones like multi-contour front seats, quilted genuine leather upholstery, enhanced leather steering wheel, enhanced noise control, and upgraded interior and exterior trim elements. There are more features not available on the Limited, even with the 302a package. You can check with your local Ford dealer for more info and comparisons.

Last edited:

ShawnP

Reaction score
Is the platinum trim level really worth 7-10k more than a limited?

We're still looking, and let's just use 2020 models for this scenario At 50k miles, I can find limiteds all day for 40-43k, but platinums are are 48-51k to find a platinum in the 40-43k range you have to jump up to over 75k miles it seems like.

So just curious if the extra 25 horses is worth that much extra.

Thanks guys
I bought a 2018 Platinum F-150...then my wife had her minivan t-boned, and I talked her into a 2020 Limited Expedition with the 302A/tow package for the same reasons you are stating. I got almost everything we wanted except for the massaging seats and saved a bit. Between the 2, which are very similar cars, my sound is a little better and there is a bit more punch, but really, I don't regret our decision on the Expy. She does miss those messaging seats, but then she just drives/rides in the truck and gets her fix. She certainly likes parking the Expy more since the truck has a 6.5 ft. bed.

Old Gearhead

Reaction score
I have a 2018 Platinum. I am very biased as I really like this SUV. YES it is worth it as the upgrades are more than HP. I would, without hesitation, vote and go for Platinum. I hope this helps.

Jettix2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have had 2 platinums, both used. Much prefer the light headliner, nicer seats, stitching, door panel detail, laminated glass etc etc. I could care less about the extra 25hp but the Platinum feels much nicer quality. It was worth it for us.

TonyR0206

Reaction score
Is the platinum trim level really worth 7-10k more than a limited?

We're still looking, and let's just use 2020 models for this scenario At 50k miles, I can find limiteds all day for 40-43k, but platinums are are 48-51k to find a platinum in the 40-43k range you have to jump up to over 75k miles it seems like.

So just curious if the extra 25 horses is worth that much extra.

Thanks guys
I had an F150 Platinum with massaging seats. I now have a 22 Stealth Limited. I have to say, on long trips, I miss the massaging seats.