Potential new '05 owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
2003-2006 were junk. The 5.4l has all kind of issues. A 4.6l might be different. Check the rear door for paint problems. 80K is when everything starts going. Nickel and dime time. 13 years old, $3500 would be all its probably worth.

Tdh777

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have an 03 eb with4.6. replaced a couple of coils and the driver window reg and the ac clutch due to being run thru mud weekly in an off roading area near the house. No other issues and never been left on the road side. Great vehicle and drives amazing as well as tows well. Wouldn’t hesitate to buy another. 107,000 mi when purchased. Pushing 160 now a year later.

Hotrod

Reaction score
I have owned a 2005 which I purchased with 42,000 miles on it and now has 140,000. I can say this has been a very good purchase for our family. We use the vehicle to tow a 21' boat as well as a travel trailer, and it's my daily driver. It's comfortable to drive, very easy to see your blind spots and the seats are very comfortable. Stereo is excellent and the cabin is quiet. I get 13 mpg around town and 18 on the highway. As for repair issues, I had the cam phasers replaced under the original warranty, it started making a loud clacking noise at start up so if you hear that then you have an idea of what it is. I had to replace a cracked throttle body, the spark plugs went at 90,000 miles and were very expensive to replace as this particular model 5.4 had issues with stuck plugs, although none of mine broke on removal. The dealer charged me $700 for what should be a $250 job due to the fact the job is labor intensive. I replaced some plug coils and the serpentine belt which is easy, and of course several brake jobs. The only interior item that has broke is the little door you can store a wallet in in the overhead console......Knock on wood that is it. I love this SUV, I had a Chevy Tahoe before this and the Chevy was a nightmare in comparison. Hope that helps.

CAKD07

Reaction score
Bought my '05 brand new in June 2005. Currently it has 260k and the major problem with it would be the plugs and coils. I highly suggest changing all plugs, coils, and boots together. Otherwise you'll chase your tail forever troubleshooting issues. I also had to replace the two blend doors (front/rear HVAC) and for some reason the clearcoat on the right side of the hood is now coming off. At 80K and 200K I replaced the CC units but was told I got lucky, they don't last that long anyway. Maybe I got lucky with my 5.4 but it's been a great ride and I'll keep it until I have to put it out of it's misery.

JamesRG

Reaction score
I bought a 2006 EB back in October 2016 with 90k miles on it. 12k miles later back in August 2017 the ticking started and check engine light came on as it started hesitating like it wanted to die while going 75mph on the freeway. The shop said it's the camshaft phasers going out and would be a minimum $4000 job to replace them. I sure wish I had researched these year models before purchasing one because I don't have that kind of cash laying around to get it fixed. On a positive note, it's still driving the same with the ticking and hesitation since August 2017 and hasn't left me on the side of the road yet. My average MPG has gone down from about 15 to 11 though.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
I bought a 2006 EB back in October 2016 with 90k miles on it. 12k miles later back in August 2017 the ticking started and check engine light came on as it started hesitating like it wanted to die while going 75mph on the freeway. The shop said it's the camshaft phasers going out and would be a minimum $4000 job to replace them. I sure wish I had researched these year models before purchasing one because I don't have that kind of cash laying around to get it fixed. On a positive note, it's still driving the same with the ticking and hesitation since August 2017 and hasn't left me on the side of the road yet. My average MPG has gone down from about 15 to 11 though.
Whoa! Get a second opinion. That sounds way too high.

JamesRG

Reaction score
Whoa! Get a second opinion. That sounds way too high.

This was from a trusted mechanic that our family has taken their vehicles to in Garland for 30 years. He said it's the labor of getting to the phasers because you have to take the engine apart. Another local mechanic here in Buda quoted this: "Timing chain job with cam phasers runs about $3500... if it needs actuators too, might be up to $4000. For $7600 we could replace the entire engine with a rebuilt with a 3 year 100000 mile warranty."

The nutkicker is I still owe $8000 on the car loan. :(

Anyone have good luck driving for a long time with camshaft phasers ticking like a time bomb and the engine hesitating? I'm at 5 months right now hoping to go at least another year.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score

4k sounds about right actually, and I'm on the same boat as your buddy I wish I did My research but now I'm too deep $$$ to let it go and make a profit out of it.

All I can tell you is please have enough for a tow regardless of where you're at cause when eventually my original motor dried up and threw a rod I had to pay a whopping $518 for a tow cause it was off of a highway shoulder and only 2 companies in all of Illinois had the athority to pull cars off of the highway....

OP I hate to say this but it's the truth... AVOID EXPEDITIONS 2005-2006 at all costs they'e money pits and the average joe just isn't capable of facing it.

JamesRG

Reaction score
Oh I've got AAA so I'm good! I only really drive it now to work and back in Austin and around little ol' Buda so if it does break down it will be in town and not on a road trip.

I have a friend that heads up a mechanic school in San Antonio and he said they might be able to swap the engine out and all I'd have to pay for are the parts. But the timing has to work out right and I'd have to find a smoking deal on an engine.

And I agree with your last statement AVOID EXPEDITIONS 2005-2006 at all costs! What a pain and I've barely had it a year.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4k sounds about right actually, and I'm on the same boat as your buddy I wish I did My research but now I'm too deep $$$ to let it go and make a profit out of it.

All I can tell you is please have enough for a tow regardless of where you're at cause when eventually my original motor dried up and threw a rod I had to pay a whopping $518 for a tow cause it was off of a highway shoulder and only 2 companies in all of Illinois had the athority to pull cars off of the highway....

OP I hate to say this but it's the truth... AVOID EXPEDITIONS 2005-2006 at all costs they'e money pits and the average joe just isn't capable of facing it.

That’s basically saying avoid 03-17’ Expeditions. We all drive the same trucks... just little differences.