Power gains with basic mods?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mtparker18

Reaction score
Hey guys.
I have an '03 Expy EB with the 5.4

If I were to put an intake, headers, exhaust and a programmer, what kind of gains will I be looking at?

Thanks guys.

rptr00

Full Access Members
Reaction score
well thats going to depend on several factors such as type of programmer (canned or custom), exhaust setup, etc...I would say 30 to 40HP.

Definitely going to feel it on the butt dyno!

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The custom/canned tune will give you the most increase out of all those mods. I would guess about 25-30 with that alone. The intake and exhaust will add anywhere from 5-10 more.

OP
OP
M

Mtparker18

Reaction score
Sorry to bump an old thread of mine, lol. By a custom tune, how can I obtain a custom/canned tune?

tallsville

Full Access Members
Reaction score
a canned tune is one the programmer comes with. a custom tune is done by a shop who custom makes the tunes specifically for your car. usually using a dyno and a computer. you can get a "max power" tune, a towing tune, a fuel economy tune, etc. there are more people on here who should have more info. sctflash.com is for sct tuners and they give you locations of some shops that sell programmers and do custom tunes

OP
OP
M

Mtparker18

Reaction score
I'm thinking of doing a custom exhaust now, headers, 2 performance Cats, and make it dual exit, either si/do or true duals.

Does true duals give more power?

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yes. it allows each side of the engine breathe easier with out fighting for space in the same pipe. but do you have a 1st? b/c those are the only ones you can do it with.