Power Running Boards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeBrost

Reaction score
I recently bought a low mileage 2023 Limited. Have a question on the power running board modes. Have AUTO, OFF & OUT. Would prefer OUT—out all the time when stopped. OK to pull them in when running. Just prefer them out when stopped, vs in and out and in and out everytime a door is open. At least give me more of a time delay. 60 seconds out vs. just 3-4. When I set the mode to OUT, works fine until I move beyond 3 MPH. Then, it doesn’t just bring them in, it flips the mode back to AUTO. Any fix for this? May be a programming issue.

LegalBrief

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you leave them out, it will affect MPG and risk damage. Not the best idea in my book.

@MikeBrost There is a software updateto address that ghost switch, back to the dealer Yee shall go. Hopefully you’re still under warranty, there are a bunch of updates. Search this site, so you can go in prepared. How does it shift? If not smooth add it to the list, bunch of tranny things to update as well.

OP
OP
M

MikeBrost

Reaction score
If you leave them out, it will affect MPG and risk damage. Not the best idea in my book.

@MikeBrost There is a software updateto address that ghost switch, back to the dealer Yee shall go. Hopefully you’re still under warranty, there are a bunch of updates. Search this site, so you can go in prepared. How does it shift? If not smooth add it to the list, bunch of tranny things to update as well.
I’m fine with them IN while moving. Just want them OUT when I’m stopped. The IN, OUT, IN, OUT… everytime a door opens or closes is annoying. So don’t switch back to AUTO. And move them OUT when I move into Park.

Last edited:

2020-MAX-Limited

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I set the mode to OUT, works fine until I move beyond 3 MPH. Then, it doesn’t just bring them in, it flips the mode back to AUTO. Any fix for this? May be a programming issue.
That's the way they are supposed to work. If you don't like the way AUTO works when you are going in and out a lot, you can always (1) leave a door slightly ajar, or (2) re-activate OUT mode. Either of these will keep the boards out until you drive off again.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don't worry, give it a little time and they will stay out all the time. If you want to improve your chances, go drive around in the dirt and mud and that will get them to stay out all the time.