Raining coolant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
aeorn

aeorn

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip on the water pump. Coolant flooding stopped.

1000001085.jpg1000001087.jpg

OP
OP
aeorn

aeorn

Reaction score
I found a new leak unfortunately. Much smaller. Can anyone tell me what this part? how big is this gasket job?

1000001093.jpg

engineer1

Reaction score
Be prepared when you remove the intake manifold that you may find more than a gasket issue. My '03 EB had the same leak, but I discovered the gasket is more of a formed O ring seal that sits in a channel molded into the plastic manifold. My manifold had cracked/broken so it no longer contained the seal. I cleaned up the damaged area very well, put some mold release on the old seal and put it back into the channel as a mold. I was then able to reinforce it with some steel (paper clip), and epoxied it with JB Weld. After it cured I installed a new seal, liberally added silicone rubber sealer, and bolted it together before the rubber set up. It seemed to have worked. Much less expensive than a new manifold. Good luck.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You never replaced that crossover gasket ? Could be worse now. Because that joint on the intake manifold to crossover likes to de-laminate along the gasket sealing area if the gasket is not replaced early, and that requires a new intake manifold. Again, buy a pressure test kit and pressure test the system with the engine off. But don't delay that repair.

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With the fluid present, I guess it's coolant, it very well may be a gasket, hose or the intake manifold leaking. Though if all I had was the audio I would say it's a vacuum leak.

OP
OP
aeorn

aeorn

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. Went ahead and replaced the whole manifold yesterday. So much water in the valley and ignition coils. Gaskets were useless. It smoked a lot when I started because so much fluid drained into the cylinder when I pulled the spark plugs to dry them out. Running well today though. So far no leaks.

Btw, the new manifold is smaller and gives me a lot better access to the valley. I wonder if there's any performance difference.

PXL_20240728_182347312.jpg
PXL_20240728_181410804.jpg