Running Board Lubricant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

19ExpMaxPlatYYC

Reaction score
I've purchased motors and bushing/bearings for the hinges on the powered running boards and see that the bearings (no idea why they're called bearings) are made from PTFE. A bit of searching yieleds that hydrocarbons and PTFE don't get along.

My gut has been that the penetrating oils and lubricants that are recommended are wrong based upon the fact they haven't seemed to help me or seemingly anyone maintain function on the power running boards. The recommendation from the searches is to use PTFE based lubricants for PTFE...not exactly rocket science.

The thought is that once the PTFE bushing/bearing gives up, you seize up, then you start throwing hydrocarbon based penetrating oils and lubricants at it and you're done. That's exactly what happened to mine.

Core points from the search:
  • Avoid using hydrocarbon-based lubricants on PTFE, as they don't mix well.
  • For some applications, like door hinges, PTFE bushings may work best with only PTFE-based lubricants.
  • In high-stress environments like racing, specialized formulations with additional additives like hexagonal boron nitride (hBN) may provide even better performance.
In conclusion, PTFE-based lubricants are generally the best choice for PTFE bushings and bearings, offering low friction, compatibility, and longevity. However, the specific application and operating conditions should always be considered when selecting a lubricant.

OP
OP

19ExpMaxPlatYYC

Reaction score
Examples would be:

Most of the HBN lubricants seem to be dry or petroleum suspended. Haven't really found one.

OP
OP

19ExpMaxPlatYYC

Reaction score
A couple other interesting findings, add grease nipples...

OP
OP

19ExpMaxPlatYYC

Reaction score
This is what the bearings look like. 1000010384.jpg

Attachments

• IMG20240915123151.jpg
    IMG20240915123151.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG20240915123217.jpg
    IMG20240915123217.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 14

Benztech

Reaction score
When I lube my running boards I spray all moving parts. See what pivots and lube it. The lube I use dries so you don't have to worry about accumulating a bunch dirt. I used it on motorcycle chains for years with no issues.

Fizzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Say what you will, but every winter my power running boards would seize up here when we got into the -30c range. The cold mixed with the road pickle (a salt and sand mix they spray on the roads) would render them inoperable.

I followed this YouTube video, and they worked flawlessly all winter.

Edit: Oh hey there fellow Calgarian...

Last edited: