Running Board Lubricant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP

19ExpMaxPlatYYC

Reaction score
Say what you will, but every winter my power running boards would seize up here when we got into the -30c range. The cold mixed with the road pickle (a salt and sand mix they spray on the roads) would render them inoperable.

I followed this YouTube video, and they worked flawlessly all winter.

Edit: Oh hey there fellow Calgarian...
That's exactly the stuff I saw recommended and used. Worked for a short while...then dead...

ccssid

Reaction score
That's exactly the stuff I saw recommended and used. Worked for a short while...then dead...
I sent this video to a buddy of mine. He has a Toyota with power running boards. The dealer wanted approximately $1000.00 to repair. He followed the video. Voila. No more problems.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I use Boeshield T-9. Seems to work great for me. Generally, I would say stuff designed for aviation use probably works pretty well on cars. 2-3 times per year, I soak the "moving" parts with a penetrating oil, give them a few good sprays, scrub with a plastic bristle brush, spray em' down again (into an oil catcher of course), then finish off with Boeshield. I too liver where there is lots of stuff used on the roads, this so far has worked well.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A little confused here, those bearings/bushings posted look like metal to me? Is the picture deceiving, or are they metal? Where is the PTFE bearing located, or are they pictures of a really shiny PTFE?

OP
OP

19ExpMaxPlatYYC

Reaction score
The PTFE is a coating on the inside of the bushing/bearings.

I have found some conflict on whether PTFE is compatible with hydrocarbon based lubricants, but it is clear that a PTFE lubricant is superior.