Running board problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Franklin Jones

Reaction score
Ok, so I can tell this has been discussed a lot here, but I’ve got two different problems with my running boards. Neither side works, but they’re broken in different ways.

The driver side doesn’t retract and is in the down position. It moves fairly freely if I push on it gently with my foot, meaning it folds 40% of the way up before flopping back down again. The motor sounds like it’s running, but there’s no movement.

The passenger side also does not retract and is in the down position. It does not move AT ALL, despite really trying to move it up. The motor also does not sound at all when a door opens (and the dash settings are for auto)

For you who have solved your running board problems, where do I start looking?

oldpaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can't help much other than to share my running board history from when I bought my '14 last year. The passenger side squeaked and sometimes it wouldn't fully retract and then it would drop down again. I added some lithium grease and would open/close the door while using my foot to help raise the board. That seemed to help and after a month of this happening on and off, it works fine now. I think the previous owner didnt use the passenger side much and it got gummed up. I have kids and I think the daily use worked the kinks out.

RogerD1959

2.5 Months Ltr, and Final Bill 22K+
Reaction score
At least they had the presence of mind to be stuck in the, "DOWN," position. Like oldpaddy said, white lithium grease, that may sort out the drivers side. The passenger side, ewe, that could be a problem! What is the history on the vehicle, like, where has it been?

OP
OP
Franklin Jones

Franklin Jones

Reaction score
Roger, AFAIK the car’s come down from South Dakota somewhere to a dealership for a while, and I bought it in Nebraska Saturday.

I thought the dealer said it spent some of its life down in the sun belt before moving north to the salt belt, but we looked at four different white 2013 and 2014 expys that day, and I couldn’t keep them all straight.

I’m guessing I have some salt/rust/corrosion on the passenger side keeping it locked. Once the weather improves slightly, I’ll climb under and take a look.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
[pats self on back...again...for not buying the retracting running boards]

OP
OP
Franklin Jones

Franklin Jones

Reaction score
Well, after some brake cleaner (carefully applied to the hinges) and some PB blaster creeping lube (not so carefully applied - blasted that shizz everywhere), I got the passenger side board unlocked, and have stowed them both in the UP position at the request of my wife.

Honestly, I probably need to replace both motors, but it doesn’t seem too bad of a job and with some preventative maintenance going forward, these should be good.
Once I get them running right, I’ll post a write up. :)

Modelcarguy

Reaction score
I buy silicone spray by the case. Use it liberally on all moving parts.

problem in snow country is ice freezing up the system both from car washing and melt. The boards do not like water, salt, snow, dust or dirt. Process I use is lubricate, exercise (open and close the doors) and my toe.