Changing The Cabin Filter 2023 Expedition. What is This?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dahammer

Reaction score
Yesterday, I decided to change the cabin air filter. I bought the car (new) in May of 2023. Since I purchased the vehicle from the dealership, I had had reduced airflow from the vents. I couldn't get the front cool enough in the AC.
I removed the glove box and opened the access door to the filter and a piece of what I thought was lint. I proceeded to remove the cabin filter, and I was in shock. What happened next is mind-blowing to me. I have included pictures for your viewing.

After carefully looking at the filter and the pile of wool-like material, which looked like batting insulation, I thought it could be insulation. I even thought it could be a nest. I called my Ford-authorized collision shop and proceeded to discuss my findings. Do they put insulation inside the unit or wrap it around outside? He said that, in his experience, they usually wrap insulation outside to reduce the condensation that forms on the plastic housing.

Has anybody ever opened up the dash and seen something like this material?

I called Ford customer care. I have a case number, and now I have to bring the car in and save the material that I removed so they can see it for themselves. Once I bring the car in, they will contact a Ford engineer, Ford Corp (maybe), plus the Ford dealership to find out what is wrong and the correct repair. WTF>>IMG_3377.jpegIMG_3368.jpegIMG_3369.jpegIMG_3371.jpegIMG_3372.jpeg

Last edited: