slipping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnb1019

Reaction score
Hi Im new to this forum but im clueless of what to do in my situation. I bought a 99 expo last year around tax time, and since then while shifting from park to reverse or drive, it would slip, then finally catch and go. Ive changed the fluids and changed the filter, and still had the same problem. Now it doesent wanna move at all. Does this mean a overhaul on the tranny? or if theres a sensor or somthing like that causing it to not move? Ive checked the fluid pan and didnt find any accesive amounts of metal on the magnetic ring in it, but just some, its normal from what i heard,. Any solutions would be greatly apprieated, this is are only vehicle me and my family have!!

chadinfla

Reaction score
accesive? Oh boy as long as you didn't find excessive amounts you are fine. Hey try check the flux capacitor on the bottom the drive shaft. :)

chadinfla

Reaction score
honestly though its probably time you realized the transmission is gone out of it. Time to replace it. But still check the flux capacitor.

Racenut

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi Im new to this forum but im clueless of what to do in my situation. I bought a 99 expo last year around tax time, and since then while shifting from park to reverse or drive, it would slip, then finally catch and go. Ive changed the fluids and changed the filter, and still had the same problem. Now it doesent wanna move at all. Does this mean a overhaul on the tranny? or if theres a sensor or somthing like that causing it to not move? Ive checked the fluid pan and didnt find any accesive amounts of metal on the magnetic ring in it, but just some, its normal from what i heard,. Any solutions would be greatly apprieated, this is are only vehicle me and my family have!!

How many miles are on the Expy?

Did the issue start after changing the trans fluid and filter or before you changed them?

Is it a 2wd or a 4x4?

Racenut

Full Access Members
Reaction score
accesive? Oh boy as long as you didn't find excessive amounts you are fine. Hey try check the flux capacitor on the bottom the drive shaft. :)

He is correct in the fact that you will always find a film of metal on the pan magnet and that is normal for ANY automatic trans even if it is working perfect. It is just nature of the beast with ANY automatic transmission since it uses steel plates along with a semi metalic friction disc sandwiched inbetween!

Racenut

Full Access Members
Reaction score
honestly though its probably time you realized the transmission is gone out of it. Time to replace it. But still check the flux capacitor.

Not necesarily.

These are computer controlled transmissions and have a shift solenoid pack that contains 6 ELECTRONIC SHIFT SOLENOIDS which could cause the issue.

It could even be as easy as the filter was not installed corectly, or that the rubber o-ring from the old filter was not removed from the trans before the new filter was installed causing a low pressure situation.

So before trying to tell the guy that his trans is shot how about trying to help him diagnose the issue first! That is the whole reason why these forums exist!

OP
OP
Johnb1019

Johnb1019

Reaction score
Its 2wd, yes i put a new filter on it, im not sure about if i change out an O ring on it or if the new filter had a new one on it, I just know that when u install it that it clips in place. A friend of mine said that its possible that the friction bands are fried, but i changed the fluids in it before it quit so ill check it again and see what turns up. Another option is the transmission shop down the street, and im pretty good with mechanics but never messed with rebuilding a transmission. I did tow a tool trailer a few times with it between me buying the truck and having it sitting where its at now, so I bet that didnt help with slipping. What kind of tranny is expos running? I got the 5.4 triton 2wd.

Racenut

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its 2wd, yes i put a new filter on it, im not sure about if i change out an O ring on it or if the new filter had a new one on it, I just know that when u install it that it clips in place. A friend of mine said that its possible that the friction bands are fried, but i changed the fluids in it before it quit so ill check it again and see what turns up. Another option is the transmission shop down the street, and im pretty good with mechanics but never messed with rebuilding a transmission. I did tow a tool trailer a few times with it between me buying the truck and having it sitting where its at now, so I bet that didnt help with slipping. What kind of tranny is expos running? I got the 5.4 triton 2wd.

Since the issues started after changing the fluid there is a good chance that the tranny is gone. When the trans has higher miles on it and if the fluid has not been changed regularly then sometimes new fluid will do this to a trans. The new fluid has cleaning compounds in it that will remove build up in the trans and sometimes that build up is what keeps it going.

As for the type of trans more than likley it is going to be the 4R100 since it is a 2wd, which is a strong trans but as with any automatic if the fluid is not changed out reqularly then it will fail.

Check out this link :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

It is for a trans shop in AZ that offers really good prices and backs there trannys with a 2yr unlimited miles warranty. They have a really good score on the BBB website as well.

OP
OP
Johnb1019

Johnb1019

Reaction score
Update on transmission, it was toasted, the foward clutches were burnt out, the shaft machined down the spines or threads on the bearings or somthing like that, I've seen the parts the shop pulled out and they put a brand new overhaul kit in it. It cost $1500 dollars cash i paid, and came with a one year warrentee. And thats also why the starter wasent working, the main tranny shaft was seize and prevented the starter to turn the flywheel.