Snapping sound in 4WD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The title says it all...
If you'd like to skip the background my main question is at the bottom of the post. Thanks.

A little background on the truck, it's an 06 XLT 5.4L 4x4 with advanctrac and I've owned it for 3-4 months now. I bought it with about 122k and now have about 127k with some issues. Also should mention that the truck came with some no-name all terrain tires that are pretty knobby (I'll get to that later).

Here what's been repaired/replaced/added:
New steering rack
Rear wheel bearings
Abs sensors
Spark plugs
Rear wiper linkage
Some fuses
Led interior lights
Clarion head unit (came with it)

When I purchased the truck I noticed on the test drive by myself without the PO that once it got to about 20-25 mph I stared to hear a harmonic hum the pulsated on turns and remained a constant tone on the straights ...I should mention that you still hear the hum through 80mph it just gets a bit quieter... Was somewhat clueless to what it could be but I figured hubs. (The PO said it was the "beefy" tires). But something that threw me towards it not being the wheel bearings was when I tested the 4WD. I found a school parking lot near the PO's house that happened to be grass so seemed like a perfect test spot for the 4x4. I first tried A4WD and noticed the when the wheel was slightly turned I heard a loud snap when I hit the accelerator... Same thing going straight. 4HI and 4LO produced the same response, when I accelerated I would hear a loud snap or clunk then the truck would go.
Thinking it was repairable I bought the truck and it passed inspection in RI. I took it to my dealer for an evaluation and they noticed the big problem areas for me and I had replaced what was necessary, i.e. Steering rack, rear hubs, transfer case fluid, oil change, abs sensor, spark plugs and a few more tiny things I did myself. But they never said anything about the 4WD system.
I have ignored it until the snow has now started to fall and I prefer to drive around in A4WD and feel safer that way. I have read around the forum and other forums a lot and have heard many many different things about what it could be. My thinking is maybe the CV shafts need to be replaced but I don't see grease coming out of them or any tears and also many the IWE solenoids on the front wheels but I am unsure and don't want to dump money where it doesn't need to be dumped. Reminder I did not have the front hubs replaced because the dealer said it was "not needed" and they were in good shape.

My main question is,
What could be making the constant hum noise while moving along the road and what could be making the the single loud snap noise when I accelerate hard in 4WD (sometimes experience some wheelspin)?Could the same thing be causing these noises and could it be the CVs?

Any information would be very helpful and greatly appreciated as I'm pressed for money and time because I'm going to back school and will only be able to work part time again.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can chime in with some help and I'll be happy to provide any info needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would start with full diagnosis of the 4wd vacuum system. There was a good post on an f150 forum for checking the IWEs and vacuum lines.

OP
OP
Gruz7

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would start with full diagnosis of the 4wd vacuum system. There was a good post on an f150 forum for checking the IWEs and vacuum lines.

Thanks for the input... Will try to figure out the 4WD vacuum system youtubes gotten me pretty far lol but I'll continue to check out the other forums too

OP
OP
Gruz7

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just saw yet another post on the ranger forums of all forums that said they had this problem until they replaced the CV joints then it seemed to be fixed... Maybe I'll get around to that and see if my problem is solved... Have to do it eventually anyways as part of the "pre-leveling kit maintenance" lol

OP
OP
Gruz7

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Think you might be onto something with the vacuum as today after driving to work and then at lunch getting in the truck it started up with a vacuum like sound and got a bit louder as I went along so I pulled over and switched it out of A4WD and into 2HI and the sound was gone completely...

Reaction score
sounds like CV's to me. That's usually the leading culprit when you hear front popping noise. Probably time to get it into a reputable mechanic in your area to check it out.

OP
OP
Gruz7

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sounds like CV's to me. That's usually the leading culprit when you hear front popping noise. Probably time to get it into a reputable mechanic in your area to check it out.

Yeah I'll have to start looking around for a good one... Diving into these replacement part prices are gonna kill me

OP
OP
Gruz7

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ha
I would start with this test before you replace CVs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6b7FQOsbvI

Another test to prove the IWEs are functioning, lift the front wheels off the ground and start the exp. In 2WD and A4WD the sound at 1:06 in this video should not happen. Both front wheels should spin free with no noise or CV axles turning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqihvBDPEZc

Thank you... I'll see if I can check these when I get home form work tomorrow I appreciate it 2004XLT