Solution to Weathertech Cargo Mat slipping?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GregTu

Reaction score
I have a 2024 Expedition Platinum and purchased a Weathertech cargo mat for the space behind the second row captains chairs. With the third row down there is a small downward slope at the back of the car. I've been having issues with the mat sliding back towards the tail gate eventually blocking it from closing.

I've tried an industrial hook and loop tape on the bottom of the mat to grab onto the carpet to prevent it slipping without success. Has anyone experienced this issue and found a good solution?

Thanks,
Greg

Left Coast Geek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
my weathertech has about 6 strips that are like a very coarse sandpaper on the bottom that keeps it from sliding around. I believe they came in the bottom of hte box, and I had to stick them onto the bottom of said trunk mat

OP
OP
G

GregTu

Reaction score
my weathertech has about 6 strips that are like a very coarse sandpaper on the bottom that keeps it from sliding around. I believe they came in the bottom of hte box, and I had to stick them onto the bottom of said trunk mat
We live a few miles from the factory store in IL. The mat came in a large plastic bag (not boxed) and didn't include those strips. Since we're so close I'll go back tomorrow and see if they have them available.

Thanks!
Greg

Left Coast Geek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
waitaminute. Maybe I had some staircase friction tape left over, and used that? hmmmm.

yeah, I bought a roll of this stuff for something else and had a bunch left over.

so I cut around 6 6" long strips of it, wiped the bottom of the plastic mat with a little rubbing alcohol then let it dry, then stuck the tape on.

OP
OP
G

GregTu

Reaction score
waitaminute. Maybe I had some staircase friction tape left over, and used that? hmmmm.

yeah, I bought a roll of this stuff for something else and had a bunch left over.

so I cut around 6 6" long strips of it, wiped the bottom of the plastic mat with a little rubbing alcohol then let it dry, then stuck the tape on.
Interesting idea. I’ll give it a shot.

I had tried several pieces of the Scotch extreme fasteners but had a hard time keeping them attached to the underside of the mat even though I had cleaned it several times with alcohol. I’m now thinking it may not have had enough surface area to effectively stick, especially when I have the back loaded with luggage, golf clubs, etc. It seemed to stick well to the carpet, but not the mat.

sixstring

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You need to get smaller hook tape.

The OEM cargo mat from ford has the hook tape and it catches the carpet fine.

20240826_085157.jpg

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Squeeze some liquid nails on the underside and in 24 hours that thing isn't going anywhere

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used to use Weathertech, but they stain too much and seem to absorb stains, depending on the color.
I switched to these and now I use them on all my vehicles.
The 2nd row bucket seat version (I have 2nd row buckets) are the nicest fit and do not move.
Smartliner Mats
As for the back cargo area, I went with Ford's full coverage foldable model, including the back of seat.
Expedition 2020-2024 Cargo Area Protector