Spark Plug Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

marcmayer

Reaction score
Hi - I have a '98 with the 5.4L engine.

I'm a fairly competent home mechanic and I didn't think changing spark plugs would be a big challenge, but I'm stuck after finishing 7 of the 8 plugs and could use some advice.

The first 7 plugs just took a bit of time, patience and a 7mm flex socket. I didn't remove the fuel rails. I'm stuck on the passenger side rear-most plug (#7 or #8?).

There are 2 "T" shaped rubber water hoses (rear heater?) in my way and they appear to be crimped at each end so I'm not sure how they get recmoved. Is there a trick to this? Do I have to remove the fuel rails for this plug? Any suggestions (besides take it to a pro) would be appreciated.

pronstar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Originally posted by dwalin
marcmayer,

i recently did it at the shop and they charged me $100 (only work without plugs) just because they got to remove fuel rail to get to last plugs. i'm not a pro but i think these guys wouldn't make themselves more work if not absolutely required...

$100 for a plug change on a 5.4 is a very good rate.

It runs from $250 - $450 to have it done at most of the places I've checked.

OP
OP
M

marcmayer

Reaction score
Got It!

I took a 2nd stab last night and was able to force the hoses out of the way so I could get to the last plug. It was NOT necessary to remove the fuel rails, but it did cost me about 25 new nicks/cuts given the tight spaces. I invested about 4 hours total, but bet I could do it again, now that I know all the tricks, in about an hour or 90 minutes.

Must haves -

7mm flex socket ($7 from Sears - not a 7mm socket with a separate universal attached).

3/8" drive universal and LOTS of extension bars

Nice to haves -

A locking extension bar so you don't have to go fishing for the spark plug socket when it doesn't want to let go of the freshly installed spark plug.

Reaction score
i just had mine changed out last weekend. tech charged me $75 to do it on the side. truck has 73k miles, so i figured it was time before my 3k mile vaca to FL and back in two weeks.

Thunder

Reaction score
Hoses are for heater core, and are not crimped... they are quick disconnects like on the fuel system.

Skypilot

Reaction score
I just did a plug replacement on my Expedtion last weekend. Took about 2 hours to change out the first 7 plugs and another 2 hours to change out the passenger rear plug! I used a string and tied it around the hoses that cover up that last plug and tied them back by pulling on them and tieing off the string. Then I tried to remove the last plug. I used a 5/8" plug socket and two 3" extensions and the 3/8 drive rachet. There must have been something inside the plug area because I could not get the 5/8" plug socket to fit down on the spark plug. After 2 hours of trying I finally put the 5/8" plug socket with one of the 3" extension in and turned it with my fingers untill it felt like it locked onto the plug. I then put another 3" extension on and used my 3/8" Air ratchet on it. I pushed down on the ratchet and hit the trigger. It spun around 2 or 3 times then I felt it snap or grab. I thought great I just broke the plug but it came out with the socket after I pulled it out!

I now think I could do it in 2 or 3 hours if I had to redo it. Another thing I found was someone had covered the outside of some of the COP boot with grease! I wiped it all off before reinstalling.