Suspected water ingress to wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

akajackson

Reaction score
Greetings,

1998 Ford Expedition XLT 4.6L
I've been dealing with an issue for a couple of years, when it rains & the vehicle is not running, I'll hear what sounds like a relay clipping out & sometimes a constant beeping sound...these issues will come and go during a rain session. Sometimes they will go on and off for an hour, sometimes not at all.

A year ago, I pulled the GEM module & interior Fuse box to see if I could find any signs of water getting to them, but everything looked very clean, no rust or corrosion. Last winter I replaced the interior relays just to eliminate them as an issue. That didnt help. I've scoured the Internet, tried deciphering the wiring schematics to figure out a way to t-shoot this issue with no luck.

Today, the truck displayed a new issue during a rain. The check engine light, brake, battery, & airbag lights on the instrument panel are lit up faintly, again with the truck not running or keys in it. I've tried putting the keys in and turning it to accessory & back to get the lights to shut off. That didn't work. They will periodically go dark for a bit, then light up again. I also get an intermittent anti-theft light flashing also.

I'm hoping that this new information will help me figure out where the water / electrical problem is taking place. If anybody has any info to share or can point me in the right direction, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thank you
Corey

Billme

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was an excellent summary, Corey ….It made me go out and look around mine, even though I don’t have a problem..
My first thought since you didn’t see any water trace under the dash, maybe one of the bolt on connections on the firewall on the driver side wheel well might need cleaning and reseating..
The cowling cover being plastic might have a small crack above those 3 connectors.. It would be interesting to know if those new lights you saw, all happened to be fed on one of the connectors..
of course the same symptoms can be bad ground..