Tailgate kick release

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Just bought first Ford ever yesterday, used 2022 expedition limited. The "kick" feature on the rear door is not working. Is there a setting in the menus that I am not seeing to make this work?

BSarchet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That feature was deleted in most of the 2022’s due to chip shortages. You might be able to use your VIN to look up the window sticker but I bet the hands free liftgate is not on that one.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just bought first Ford ever yesterday, used 2022 expedition limited. The "kick" feature on the rear door is not working. Is there a setting in the menus that I am not seeing to make this work?

If your vehicle has the feature - it may have been disconnected.

Members on this forum have reported how maddening the feature is and how they disconnected it underneath the left rear of the vehicle.

OP
OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks folks, went by dealership this morning and feature was removed from my vehicle. Had it on my suburban before along with walk away auto lock. I didn't think much of either until I now don't have them, haha. Sneaky useful, wonder if I can add either to the expedition?

OP
OP
T
Reaction score
In five years of ownership I’ve been able to get mine to work when I needed it exactly once. I can’t count the number of times it has closed on my head, though…. You aren’t missing much.
LOL, had same experience with the Suburban. I guess we only remember the bad times. I do miss it, even with the "misfires" that we both have obviously experienced.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I disabled mine after it nearly closed on my kids more than once. In fact, for example, at a drive up move, it nearly closed on my kids over 5 times while they were sitting in the trunk. Funny to me there are proximity sensors all over this thing and occupancy sensors inside, how stupid they didn't tie these things together in code and prevent it from closing when movement is detected around and inside the vehicle.

GixxerJasen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Was using my hitch mount tire changer and something rolled under the truck. While it was hit or miss for me to trigger it on purpose, the thing rolling under the truck triggered it and the door opened into the changer and left a nice scratch on the door. Disconnected after that. I've had a few times I kinda wished I had it but the Ford implementation was pretty terrible that it makes me happy to know they deleted it.

CDNRabbit

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If the system is inconsistent try using a straight kick under the center of the bumper. Dealer told me side to side movement isn't registered by the sensor. My only struggle is opening the hatch when my hitch is installed.

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If the system is inconsistent try using a straight kick under the center of the bumper. Dealer told me side to side movement isn't registered by the sensor. My only struggle is opening the hatch when my hitch is installed.
That’s what I was told and that made it the most consistent. Unfortunately because it also registered unintentional movement, when playing around the hitch area, I disabled it by removing the antenna.

Since it’s just a button push to open, I’ve not really missed it. What you really miss, though, is a power lift gate. Now that’s a pain!