The time is upon me...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

TORNIT07

Reaction score
I totally recommend this tool, it made the change out a lot easier. I like How Amazon bundles the tools for this job too. get the lisle tool and carb cleaner too. Torque for install is on the spark plug boxes, 23-27 lbs... I did 25 lbs.

Amazon.com: OTC 6900 Ford F-150 Spark Plug Socket: Automotive

I broke down & bought the tool at NAPA. It's the exact same tool as the LISLE...actually, I believe it IS the LISLE with NAPA's name on it instead. It still refers to "LISLE" in the instruction sheet.

It's NAPA part # 77-4021
It was on sale for $79.00 plus tax. I thought I was going to have a loaner car to drive while doing the job but that fell through so I figured I best buy the darn thing to be ready for the broken-plug scenario.

I bought MOTORCRAFT SP-515 plugs. There is no reference to proper torque for the plugs on the box but 25 Ft. pounds is what I have seen most when I researched online. Did you use something other than MOTORCRAFT brand plugs?

I've scheduled the job for next week. April 7th and 8th. First day will be to soak the plugs for at least four hours. more if required.Second day will be dedicated to R&R...perhaps I'll be one of the "lucky" ones & all the plugs will come out super easy and I'll be through the first day....:big_banana_Dance:

Or Not......

:frown:

ezeq

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Give us an update after. Thanks

2007 XLT, 4X4 5.4

f150dave2002

Reaction score
I broke down & bought the tool at NAPA. It's the exact same tool as the LISLE...actually, I believe it IS the LISLE with NAPA's name on it instead. It still refers to "LISLE" in the instruction sheet.

It's NAPA part # 77-4021
It was on sale for $79.00 plus tax. I thought I was going to have a loaner car to drive while doing the job but that fell through so I figured I best buy the darn thing to be ready for the broken-plug scenario.

I bought MOTORCRAFT SP-515 plugs. There is no reference to proper torque for the plugs on the box but 25 Ft. pounds is what I have seen most when I researched online. Did you use something other than MOTORCRAFT brand plugs?

I've scheduled the job for next week. April 7th and 8th. First day will be to soak the plugs for at least four hours. more if required.Second day will be dedicated to R&R...perhaps I'll be one of the "lucky" ones & all the plugs will come out super easy and I'll be through the first day....:big_banana_Dance:

Or Not......

:frown:

I used the same plugs, Motorcraft SP 515.

read all the postings and watch some youtube videos on the change out for some moral support. It helped me. One of the methods I used was the turn the spark plug 1/4 to 1/2 turn then spray carb cleaner in to soak for at least 10 minutes but longer is better... 20 to 30 min...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHQxnG6Bd3o

Watch some of this guys videos on the spark plug change, There are lots of how to videos but since this came from a Ford mechanic, I liked the style.

Good luck, Hope that if one breaks, its a front one that's easy to remove.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TORNIT07

Reaction score
I used the same plugs, Motorcraft SP 515.

read all the postings and watch some youtube videos on the change out for some moral support. It helped me. One of the methods I used was the turn the spark plug 1/4 to 1/2 turn then spray carb cleaner in to soak for at least 10 minutes but longer is better... 20 to 30 min...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kc4-z-sT1ms

Watch some of this guys videos on the spark plug change, There are lots of how to videos but since this came from a Ford mechanic, I liked the style.

Good luck, Hope that if one breaks, its a front one that's easy to remove.

I have MOTORCRAFT PM3 CARBURETOR & TUNEUP CLEANER to soak the plugs. It's what Ford recommends. I don't have the aerosol PM3 just straight pour out of the can. I plan to mix it with PB BLASTER & use a small funnel type used to fill kerosene lanterns) with a hose attached to prevent spillage.

I plan to let the plugs soak no less than four hours. I saw one guy on YouTube that soaked his over night but he didn't crack the plugs loose the recommended 1/4 turn first...if he did then he didn't mention it in his video. I don't see how soaking the plugs helped in that case?

I've already viewed no less than six "How-To" videos on YouTube. I feel very confident about doing this job. I was a professional mechanic during the 80's and 90's. I'm behind on the new-fangled autos in regards to all the electronics n' such. However, I can still "get 'er done" when required!:smile:

I'm just a lot slower, stiffer & have to take a LOT of breaks due to certain health issues...the hardest part of the job, for me, will be the physical demands...having to bend over the engine compartment. I'll be feeling intense pain (more than usual) for days after.

Anyway. Enough of THAT...I'll give my self a quarter so I can call somebody that gives a hoot:Violin:

Just one question for you: As you did, I shall as well, turn the plug 1/4 turn loose to allow the cleaner/oil to seep past the threads & around the lower portion of the plug. I'm slightly concerned that the plug may break on that initial wee-bit of a turn. Did you experience any plug breakage during this step?

f150dave2002

Reaction score
Just one question for you: As you did, I shall as well, turn the plug 1/4 turn loose to allow the cleaner/oil to seep past the threads & around the lower portion of the plug. I'm slightly concerned that the plug may break on that initial wee-bit of a turn. Did you experience any plug breakage during this step?

I may have, on the first plug. It was hard to tell with it being the first one but I didn't let it sit with the carb cleaner in it for more than 5 to 10 minutes. I used a video probe to look in the spark plug shaft and I did see bubbles coming up through the carb cleaner and I can assume from the cloud that emanated from start up after the job was done that carb cleaner was down in there. I used an air compressor to blow it out as best as I could.

I feel ya on the pain, my stomach and abs hurt for 3 days after I spent so much time under there. I'll share my broken one and what the other ones looked like after...

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 53
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 52
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TORNIT07

Reaction score
Update:

Got a very late start Tuesday due to circumstances beyond my control. I had to drive my Expy several times that morning when I had wanted it to be sitting cold with the plugs soaking. Didn't happen. At 11:30 A.M. I popped the hood & put a small twin-prop window fan on the motor to help dissipate the heat a little faster.

At 1:30 P.M. I pulled all the ignition coils & moved as much "stuff" out of the way as possible. I sprayed SEA FOAM DEEP-CREEP In all eight plug wells. I didn't use the MOTORCRAFT PM3. The DEEP-CREEP had all the necessary requirements. It specifically stated that it was good for breaking up/removing hard carbon deposits.

I used an I-Beam type torque wrench on the first three plugs to get a feel for how much torque I could use before I broke a plug. 33 foot pounds was the max-recommendation but I pushed it to nearly 50 ft. lbs. I figured the long extension absorbed a good bit of the torque so if I went over a bit I'd be OK. Looks as if I was right?

All four plugs on the passenger side came out very easy. There was virtually no carbon on the shafts & what little gunk there was wiped right off with a rag. I credit that to the fuel treatments I've been adding to the gas the past six or so weeks. I honestly believe those treatments made a world of difference.

On the drivers side the first plug came out with relative ease. The last three all broke on the initial turn when I attempted to break them free to allow the DEEP-CREEP to soak down, etc.

Fortunately I had already purchased the special tool to extract broken spark plugs & did just that. The first broken plug took me a little longer to extract... maybe twenty minutes. The last two broken plugs took about ten minutes to remove with the extractor tool. One of those was the back plug but still wasn't too bad at all.

By that time the sun had set & my back was screaming at me to STOP as were my swollen legs. I left well enough alone & shall install the new plugs in the morning. Final report with a few photos tomorrow night.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TORNIT07

Reaction score
Final Update/Followup:

Installed the new plugs this morning. Coated them with Permatex Nickel Anti-Seize. Made sure to apply plenty Dielectric grease to both ends of plug boots/springs.

The odometer is at 106,400 miles. These were the original spark plugs I replaced. The engine runs like a scalded dog again...full power has been restored & ALL drivability issues are gone! The ignition coils are all original and functioning perfectly. I had forgotten how great my Expy performed. What a GREAT driving vehicle!

I managed to snap a few photos...if anybody cares to have a looksee.

And so, another chapter is closed in the life & times of me & my Expy. Another "alls well that ends well" happy ending if I must say so myself. And I just did :cheers:

NOTE: First photo & second plug from the left next to the extractor tool...didn't break in the head. It came out fully intact. I busted it up like that on purpose while attempting to recreate a plug-broke-in-the-head scenario to better understand a question I had in my own head when the first of three plugs broke.

Attachments

• P1170028.jpg
    P1170028.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 47
  • P1170027.jpg
    P1170027.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 44
  • P1170020.jpg
    P1170020.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 44
  • P1170018.jpg
    P1170018.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 44
  • P1170022.jpg
    P1170022.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

ezeq

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Cant wait doing my plugs but kinda nervous doing it although I have the extraction tool. Lol

2007 XLT, 4X4 5.4