Thermostat Replacement - Use OEM?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigOleFordFan

Reaction score
Stealership
HAHAHAHA... I like this, so funny but unfortunately, so true in some cases....

Like the one dealer who quoted me $3K to replace the power running boards on my 011 EL, cause

A) They don't sell the parts separately, and
B) They only sell & install the boards ONLY IN COMPLETE PAIRS....

Fortunately the boards themselves are still in great condition (i resurfaced the step area myself) and I only needed the motor and brackets for the left side, which I found online for $135 :D

Last edited by a moderator:

LegalBrief

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wasn’t there a thermostat redesign for 2018-2019 with TSB? Maybe even a recall? Something about them and manufacturer changes. O just can’t recall what (damn old age)

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Stant SuperStats were my go to, but they're no longer in production afaik. Whatever you go with, I would stick with factory temps.

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wasn’t there a thermostat redesign for 2018-2019 with TSB? Maybe even a recall? Something about them and manufacturer changes. O just can’t recall what (damn old age)

There was a redesign but not sure a TSB was sent out.

I went with an SPD 170°

Ugh_J

Reaction score

Some good related discussion in this thread.

slow3v

Reaction score
Go OEM only and get a requote. It's probably 3hr labor and the parts aren't too costly. Shop around, or ask what the $1300 consists of. Is there additional service? Coolant flush, hose replacement, is it the whole t-stat housing too? My dealer did the whole housing on mine too, apparently it can be ordered as a kit.

OP
OP
D

dnicholas47

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. They tried to tell me that gaskets that have to be removed are one time use and have to be ordered, and then went on about how much labor is involved, I guess assuming I hadn’t done any homework before I took it in. I will stick with the resigned OEM thermostat and find another dealer when I need something in the future.