Ticking sound driver side High Pressure Fuel Pump?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

BC19

Reaction score
Ford says the ticking noise is normal…… so I think I’m going to find someplace else to take it.

BP 09

Reaction score
Ford says the ticking noise is normal…… so I think I’m going to find someplace else to take it.
You said yourself you listened to it and it’s the waste gate making noise. Which is considered normal by Fords standards. Your probably wasting your time.

They can replace the turbo and it will rattle again in 5,000 miles. There is nothing wrong with having a bit of play in the turbo wastegate system. It allows things to move freely still when that manifold hits 1000 plus degrees and the metal expands. For what it’s worth, factory tuning won’t even cool down the manifold with extra rich fuel until north of 1600 degrees. That’s a lot of heat the turbos have to handle. Some room for expansion is good.

As said all over this forum, throw a few springs on the watergate linkage and just drive the thing. You’ll drive yourself crazy chasing noises.

OP
OP
B

BC19

Reaction score
Update:

Found it last night, it was a bad roller rocker on the exhaust side. The bearing failed, I installed the new rocker and it’s running great now.

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update:

Found it last night, it was a bad roller rocker on the exhaust side. The bearing failed, I installed the new rocker and it’s running great now.
So you opened the valve cover and then figured out?

OP
OP
B

BC19

Reaction score
So you opened the valve cover and then figured out?
That’s correct opened the valve cover and turned the crank checking each roller follower by trying to move it on the lifter side by hand when the apex of the cam lobe was sticking straight up for the follower being checked.

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Interesting… I have that exact noise on mine… it’s not awful and with it out of warranty I don’t really want to tear into it to much. How labor intensive was it to fix?

OP
OP
B

BC19

Reaction score
Not too labor intensive, depending on your experience. You have to pull the intake and valve cover off. And it’s all pretty accessible. Although mine was the driver side, if yours is on the passenger side you will have to deal with removing the high pressure fuel pump.

But once everything is open like I said above you just turn the engine over and check each roller follower. When you find it remove and replace.

I bought a tool to compress the spring on Amazon, but it broke. So ended up popping the roller follower out and in with the screwdriver. Used mechanic stethoscope to narrow sound down to the driver side valve cover before tearing plot down. Took a couple hours.

My noise got worse overtime, replace it before the roller seizes and ruins your cam.

Also when my expo was ticking it would always shudder when turning ac on. Changing the roller follower fixed the shuddering too. Must be the exhaust valve wasn’t opening all the way.