Time for Brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigOleFordFan

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Well the time is soon coming to replace the brakes on both my 011 'Expy & the wife's '17 Acadia, so I have been reading alot of opinions elsewhere on the good/bad/ugly of standard smooth rotors vs. drilled & slotted ones, with the general concensus being that drilled & slotted ones are better overall, and from what I've seen at various outlets (da Rock, da Zon, Partsgeek etc) they are not that much more $$, so I am leaning that way, in combination with premium ceramic pads..

So I just wanted to get recommendations from my fellow members here on their experience with certain brands, again in the good/bad/ugly terms :)

Note that neither vehicle has any braking issues, and I will be having my local trusted mechanic doing this job, since he doesn't mind me supplying the parts and is always reasonable on his labor, and I don't have the tools or the patience for it....

All input appreciated, as I still have a few months before this work goes from the "need to do soon" to the "have to asap" stage :D

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Well the time is soon coming to replace the brakes on both my 011 'Expy & the wife's '17 Acadia, so I have been reading alot of opinions elsewhere on the good/bad/ugly of standard smooth rotors vs. drilled & slotted ones, with the general concensus being that drilled & slotted ones are better overall, and from what I've seen at various outlets (da Rock, da Zon, Partsgeek etc) they are not that much more $$, so I am leaning that way, in combination with premium ceramic pads..

So I just wanted to get recommendations from my fellow members here on their experience with certain brands, again in the good/bad/ugly terms :)

Note that neither vehicle has any braking issues, and I will be having my local trusted mechanic doing this job, since he doesn't mind me supplying the parts and is always reasonable on his labor, and I don't have the tools or the patience for it....

All input appreciated, as I still have a few months before this work goes from the "need to do soon" to the "have to asap" stage :D

I have always had good results using OEM rotors and brake pads for my GM and Ford vehicles.

OP
OP
BigOleFordFan

BigOleFordFan

Reaction score
I have always had good results using OEM rotors and brake pads for my GM and Ford vehicles.
Yeap, me too, but I am interested in an upgrade of sorts this time around, mainly because my wife & I both do a considerable amount of stop & go city driving, so I am hoping to make it a tad longer before the replacements after these become necessary :)