Transmission issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thatonedude09

Reaction score
Hello all. I’ve got a 2006 Expedition that recently started having what I believe are transmission issues. From 20+ mph it’ll rev up to about 4k and not accelerate any more. If I shift manually from 1st to 2nd it works fine. I then try to shit to D and same thing. We are thinking it’s the solenoid pack but aren’t too sure. Bought it from my uncle and not sure if he’s ever replaced filter or fluids. I’m ok with doing a drain/replace on it and a filter change but I thought I’d reach out to those with more experience first. Thanks in advance.

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What's the fluid on the dipstick look like. It should be nice and red, if it's brown or black it's well overdue for a change and may be too late for a trans fluid change to help.

For simple troubleshooting you could try adding a tube/bottle of Lubegard. They have several transmission products that can be used to help diagnose trans issues.

I believe there should be a code if it's slipping, but you'll need a scanner that can read the transmission codes. ForScan can be used to read transmission codes and will show you shift duration, pressure and more.

It may also be a low pressure issue. I have had 2 transmission act very similar to yours. Both were the result of low pressure at idle, putting them in 1st gear increases the pressure compared to Drive.

OP
OP
T

thatonedude09

Reaction score
Gotcha. It was a bit low on fluid but not dark. I’m taking it to a transmission shop tomorrow to get it scanned/diagnosed and will update the post. If it’s the solenoid I can do that myself if it’s anything more than that I’m not too sure. Thanks again for the input.