Trying to install AVIC z140

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rexster314

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just curious, I had a Buick Enclave that I had read abou an on/off switch on the VSS wire. You could turn it off and was able to enter information like a new destination while driving. Once done you could switch it back on to resume. Seemed like you might be able to do it on the Expy. Me, I have a Lockpick in my Expy

ExpediTuner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you don't have oem dvd player then the small plug is for the sub.

I just install mine.

bricekin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just curious, I had a Buick Enclave that I had read abou an on/off switch on the VSS wire. You could turn it off and was able to enter information like a new destination while driving. Once done you could switch it back on to resume. Seemed like you might be able to do it on the Expy. Me, I have a Lockpick in my Expy

The only systems I know of that actually use the VSS wire to determine if the vehicle is in motion are the factory nav systems. I don't believe there is any aftermarket system that uses the VSS wire to lock out certain functions.

OP
OP
T

tw1112

Reaction score
Thanks all, got the navi installed and working. I didn't do the bypass yet because I ran out of time and just wanted to see if everything else is wired correctly. The vss on the harness did work (grey/black). It coincided with the pink(mute) wire on the scosche harness so I just connected the wires. I verified that the vss wire is correct by viewing the gps connections while driving. Now i have to go back and do the bypass tomorrow...had a lot of trouble taking the pin out of the harness.

bricekin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Now i have to go back and do the bypass tomorrow...had a lot of trouble taking the pin out of the harness.

I did too the first time I did it. Luckily I've had the ability to practice a few times and have bought two of these for myself.

Glad you got it in though. If you need any further help, feel free to ask.

OP
OP
T

tw1112

Reaction score
I did too the first time I did it. Luckily I've had the ability to practice a few times and have bought two of these for myself.

Glad you got it in though. If you need any further help, feel free to ask.

Thanks. Any tips on getting the pin out? The connector is pretty much mangled up already from trying...

OP
OP
T

tw1112

Reaction score
Thanks again. Just happy that everything else works fine. Didn't do the reverse wire either but I will do it when I install a backup camera later on down the line.

bricekin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Take a look at that YouTube video I posted about the bypass again. This is by far the easiest way I have found to do it.

The place to insert the straightened staple is the smaller rectangular hole above the pin you're trying to remove, or below depending on how you're looking at the harness. If you hold it like the picture shows, it'll be the slot below the pin hole. Pry that little side clip up and wedge the top plate up a little bit. I use a 90 degree pick for this process. You kinda gotta get the staple in there pretty good but it doesn't take a ton of force. You'll kind of feel it click when it releases the pin. Then just pull that sucker outta there and put it in the slot you need it to be in. Just be patient and careful, you'll get it.
510%2Be7fkmML._SL500_SS500_.jpg

Last edited: