Upgrade to Heavy-Duty Tow?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bear1209

Reaction score
My family is looking to buy a travel trailer in the near future, which we would pull with our 2019 Ford Expedition MAX. We do not have the heavy-duty tow package, which limits our max loaded trailer weight to 6,300 lbs. Most travel trailers we are finding meeting our needs are in the 7,000 lbs dry-weight range (so <9,000 lbs. loaded up), which would of course mean we could pull those trailers if we had the HD tow package. In effort to avoid spending another $20k to upgrade to another expedition with a HD tow package, I started considering what upgrades could be made on our current expedition to achieve that same setup. The frame and receiver hitch are the same whether we have the HD tow package or not, so not concerned there. Based on Ford's towing spec sheet (https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten.../guides/19Towing_Ford_Expedition_r1_Dec21.pdf), here's is what I found needs to be upgraded:
- radiator upgrade - what would I need to upgrade to?
- Electronic Traction Assist (eLSD) - is this even possible to upgrade? or would it need to come from factory with this option?
- upgraded rear axle - change gears from 3.31 to 3.73, which I would assume I could pay a mechanic a few thousand dollars to swap (still cheaper than a new expy)
- trailer brake control - easy to add whether I use a wired or bluetooth option
- Pro Trailer Backup Assist - is this really needed? Most travel trailers have a backup camera option

Anything else I'm not thinking of?

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There is NO physical upgrade that legally upgrades your towing or payload capacity. Period. It doesn't work that way.

Plus you are missing the factor of payload. How much do your total passengers weigh, and what is your payload capacity for your Expedition. The higher the trim, the lower the Payload. 4WD also has lower Payload.

If you have say 1300lb Payload. A 9K trailer would have a 900lb tongue weight, minimum, so you now have 400lb of payload left. That includes people, animals, and things. Most likely, you are over Payload. People ALWAYS forget about that.

techdude99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
LokiWolf makes valid points.

I had the HD Tow Package in my '19 Platinum and towed 6.5k lbs (laden including the cargo and passengers) around the country. It towed like a champ. Never had an issue with the towing and didn't need a weight distribution hitch. In regard to your questions:

- Never used the backup assist
- Gearing would be helpful but I'm not sure if it's required
- eLSD - always nice but not required. LokiWolf would probably know if it's possible to unlock with Forscan and if additional hardware is need
- You should be able to add a new HD OEM radiator and hoses for less than $500

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its more than a simple swap. The entire rear axle housing is larger with larger axles and differential. Then the cooling system is larger, etc....

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
LokiWolf makes valid points.

I had the HD Tow Package in my '19 Platinum and towed 6.5k lbs (laden including the cargo and passengers) around the country. It towed like a champ. Never had an issue with the towing and didn't need a weight distribution hitch. In regard to your questions:

- Never used the backup assist
- Gearing would be helpful but I'm not sure if it's required
- eLSD - always nice but not required. LokiWolf would probably know if it's possible to unlock with Forscan and if additional hardware is need
- You should be able to add a new HD OEM radiator and hoses for less than $500
WDH always helps, but like @techdude99 said, I have towed around 6K with ours many times without setting up my WDH. At 9K, I would DEFINATELY use WDH. It will make all the difference in the world on handling.

ELSD is a hardware change, and programming. - Way more of a pain than it is worth. I helped a local guy program his out because he added a 3rd party selectable locker. Still get a code every now and then from the Traction Control system, but it is soft and never throws a light. Don't get me wrong the ELSD in these things is AMAZING, but adding it would be a PIA!

Backup assist is a cool gadget, but those of us that have been towing and backing up trailers our whole life it is not really needed.

Fizzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pro Trailer Backup Assist - is this really needed? Most travel trailers have a backup camera option

This feature isn't a camera. It adds a rotary dial on the dash that you use to back a trailer up. You put a sticker on your trailer tongue, input all the measurements from the back up camera (distance to hitch, distance to sticker, length of trailer, distance to axles etc). You can then back up using the dial without having to learn how to back up manually.

I only ever use it when I'm backing our trailer into its very tight storage location. You don't really need it.

Also, I believe the brake controller wiring is already behind the dash. Pull the panel off, get the controller from Ford, plug it in, add the 7 pin connector to the back (wiring is already there too) and you're good to go.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its more than a simple swap. The entire rear axle housing is larger with larger axles and differential. Then the cooling system is larger, etc....
The 3.31 on the 3rd gen is the larger Ford 9.75" axle. Not sure if the rear on the 4th gen is the 8.8" or the 9.75". Point being, it might be possible to upgrade the rear to a 3.73 on the 4th gen. Can probably cross reference the Ford parts catalog to see what is out back.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The 3.31 on the 3rd gen is the larger Ford 9.75" axle. Not sure if the rear on the 4th gen is the 8.8" or the 9.75". Point being, it might be possible to upgrade the rear to a 3.73 on the 4th gen. Can probably cross reference the Ford parts catalog to see what is out back.
Eitherway, you are adding to the fact that way easier to buy the right vehicle, the current one isn't.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Eitherway, you are adding to the fact that way easier to buy the right vehicle, the current one isn't.
True, but post-purchase a swap to the correct vehicle is not an option for some. Apart from the 3.73, radiator cooling changes, and brake controller, I'm not aware of anything else specific to the HD Tow that would keep someone from implementing the necessary upgrades. You're right about the payload limitation, but I see 1,600 lbs on some 4th gens without HD Tow according to the Google Drive sheet. My 3rd gen is only ~1450. Even the 3.73 gears are preferred, but not strictly necessary seeing as the 3rd gen made due with 3.31. With the proper upgrades, there's no technical reason why someone can't go over the 6K limit if they stay without the payload and axle load limits. Some aftermarket parts, such as radiators, intercoolers, and turbo manifolds, will perform better than the Ford OEM parts.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
@JasonH 100% Agree. Payload, and axle load rating are what matters from a safety standpoint.

I just HATE, when somebody says your tow rating, or payload rating is increased when you install X(Helper Springs, Airbags, Better Radiator). Your rating can NEVER be increased because that is based on how the vehicle left the factory. Aftermarket parts in general decrease that rating, because they add weight.