Using USB music m4a playlists Sync 4a

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NevadaGeo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hope someone can shed some light on this. I have been trying to create playlists on a 64gb thumb drive using Window Media Player. Since the Ford Squad crippled the USB feature of changing media while in motion (safety first...), I find using playlists a better option that will work during longer drives.

I am somewhat computer savvy, but the audio tech has escaped me. The thumb drive shows the required m4a files are there along with some unknown m3u files. My sync 4a sees the m3u files, but does not see the m4a files, which has all the songs in my playlists. Any setting I am missing? Any help would be appreciated.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Honestly I doubt these support playlists. And yes, I concur that not being able to select a folder to play is stupid. I can sit there and go through say FM radio stations .2 Mhz at a time, but I can't select Hip-Hop ---> Wu-Tang? It's amazing how dumb some of the software engineers are.

I've had to resort to pretty much just using the All Music options and set it to random, which isn't random either as every time you select random, it plays the same order (random to most means it scrambles the tracks and plays them randomly each time in differing order).

OP
OP
NevadaGeo

NevadaGeo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
...So the vehicle can drive itself but it can't do playlists...?? Yeah, software engineers that work to complicate necessary stuff, but forget about the easy, simple stuff. Pretty weak.

jjscsix

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford is really bad at technology. Its bad enough that as much as I like many aspects of our Expedition, its going to make me look hard at something else next time.

OP
OP
NevadaGeo

NevadaGeo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I figured out a work around to this problem. I was overthinking the playlist thing. What I did was create a folder within the other Artists folders on the usb stick. I named it and picked the separate mp3 files I wanted to hear from multiple artists. Over 1000 mp3 files. Somehow, the program reordered the mp3 files to play random and now all is good.

It was so simple. Don't tell the Ford software nerds, they will figure out a way to over-complicate this simplicity.