Vehicle Losing Power When Accelerating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BOB4254

Reaction score
My issue, will accelerate to 2000 RPM. Then when I floor it engine bog's down. When I let up on the gas pedal half way, engine accelerates and takes off as long as I keep her around 2000 RPM. No miss firers. New plugs, coils and wires. New fuel pump. Cleaned MAF. Getting Codes P0171 & P0174. 1998 Ford Expedition 5.4L, 130k miles.

OP
OP
BOB4254

BOB4254

Reaction score
Fuel filter changed 20k miles ago. Pressure at rail = 29

Feels like she's not getting the fuel she requires when accelerating bogs down.

Could it be a bad Fuel Pressure Regulator???

Very smooth and quiet idle.

OP
OP
BOB4254

BOB4254

Reaction score
Installed new Fuel Pressure Regulator. Condition did not improve.

Something very interesting someone may have an answer to. I installed a new fuel filter. OMG she accelerated like she did when she was new. I thought my acceleration problem was solved. Next day I started her she started fine and idles smooth and quiet.

Took her for a spin and now she when back to very poor acceleration. Same problem I had.

(will accelerate to 2000 RPM. Then when I floor it engine bog's down. When I let up on the gas pedal half way, engine accelerates and takes off as long as I keep her around 2000 RPM).

I'm thinking to install new MAF Sensor.

Any advice. Very confused at this point.

Billme

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what I have read, the EGR valve can compromise acceleration pretty dramatically..

OP
OP
BOB4254

BOB4254

Reaction score
Thanks for your post Billme. I'll check the EGR valve. I have had to replace once before. 50,000 miles ago.

Let you know the result.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Installed new Fuel Pressure Regulator. Condition did not improve.

Something very interesting someone may have an answer to. I installed a new fuel filter. OMG she accelerated like she did when she was new. I thought my acceleration problem was solved. Next day I started her she started fine and idles smooth and quiet.

Took her for a spin and now she when back to very poor acceleration. Same problem I had.

(will accelerate to 2000 RPM. Then when I floor it engine bog's down. When I let up on the gas pedal half way, engine accelerates and takes off as long as I keep her around 2000 RPM).

I'm thinking to install new MAF Sensor.

Any advice. Very confused at this point.

If you replaced the fuel filter and it ran fine for a short period of time - then began the bogging / fuel starvation issue, I’d bet you got a tank of bad gas with some type of contaminant (or someone put something in your fuel tank).

The new fuel filter probably loaded-up with whatever was in the fuel tank - and now you’re having the same problem.

Do you have the old filter? If so, cut it in half and see if the filter media is loaded-up with debris.

OP
OP
BOB4254

BOB4254

Reaction score
Yes I thought the same thing. I will cut old filter open.

I have locking gas cap so gas tank cannot be accessed to put something in tank.

Before installing new fuel filter I checked gas in tank for contaminants. 8 glass jars, clear fuel.

I have always used Shell gas and Shell/Nitro for last 2 years.

Thanks for your post and advice.

Billme

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The above could be..but
Unfortunately we get the same symptoms for different problems.. For this reason, I try to do the easy stuff first..
The throttle position sensor can do your symptom too
This is a good video to watch