what brands of oil ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PAPARAZZI

Reaction score
I use 5/20 full syn ( mobile 1 ) 1 gallon an 2 extra quart's,,,, I buy it @ walmart 23.00 for the gallon an abou $6 per quart an another $7 for the filter

I change it every 5,000 miles,, makes it easier to remember

So i spend $40 for my 2005 ford expedition oil change

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
on high mileage engines, the oil only needs to be changed ever 3k miles if you are using reg oil. but if you run synthetic, you can get 5-8k out of an oil change. at least thats the way i learned it. i currently run reg motorcraft oil and filter but am changing to synthetic and K&N filter on the next change (this weekend). i have 110k on my 01 EB.

Xpathfinder

Reaction score
Being my 1st Ford that I own, I was hoping to get a feel for what was the "best" oil was to use in it. I guess it a toss up between mobil1 and castrol. But I might just stick with pennzoil. Had great luck with it in all my chevy trucks along with my pathy. 150,000 on every chevy 1985 and 1989 2.5l iron duke engine before selling them for upgraded vehicle and 128,000 on the pathy. which I still have and no oil leaks or burnoff. But I also change it at 3000 miles. I had used synthetic changing the filter at 3,000 and adding a half qt for what was in the filter and doing a complete oil and filter change at 6000. Oil looked great at 3000 miles but 4500 started getting dark and by 6000 it was black. Something else I do is run a qt of cheaper oil thru to just flush anything that was left behind. What we have found in running oil synthetic or "your dad" oil is that the longer you go the more the fuel dissolute the oil and it breaks down the viscosity. Not talk about the contaminants like metal shavings, and traces of anti-freeze. I would said if you go more than 4000 miles on traditional oil you are bond to have problem down the line. and 6000 miles on Synthetic. Is it worth saving a hundred dollars and taking a change of it costing you more in the end? like a cost of a engine? We at the shop that I work at are required to change the oil at every three of our gas and small diesel engines and 6000 miles on our big diesel engines. We havent lost an engine do to premature engine failure. We have had engine fail but due to faulty parts. we are averaging over 500,000 miles on a transit bus motor. almost 180,000 miles on our gas powered vans. that not including idle time. Sorry this is just my opinion after being in the transit maintenance business 24 yrs and legally driving for 26 yrs...

expy916

Reaction score
5w-30 Chevron brand(2 bucks a quart at costco) and motorcraft filters every 3-5k in my fords. FL-820s on the Expedition, and FL-1A on the SHOs(instead of the FL-400s). Done this forever on the Expedition and the four SHOs and never had a problem. Almost 700,000 miles between them and they still run strong.

Dani*B

Reaction score
AMS Oil 100%. Synthetics are always better in my opinion. Change it every 10K even though its rated to last a lot longer.

Eric

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Although I have always used standard petrolium based motor oil for the last 30 years (had many engines go beyond 200,000 miles without a rebuild), I recenlty switched to full synthetic in my expedition, mainly due to the higher heat these newer engines run at. I go 7.5K before changing, using Penzoil at Walmart.

tjamba

Reaction score
The best oil

I have had 3 expos. 97-98 and now a 2001. All have had the 5.4. I use AMSOIL 5w-20. You can run it for 7500 miles,but I change mine at 5000.Never a motor problem other than ignitors..Check it out! It cost about $6.50 a quart,but people like me swear by it....I live in Wisconsin and pull a Lund Tyee boat,So my trucks do see extremes. My last expo had 244K on it and still ran strong!

tritonman5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
some say it all depends on what you use your truck for to choose what weight is best for it,i use 5w-30 pennzoil platinum series,i should be using high milage but my truck seems to like the platinum better the bad part is i gotta change the oil every 3k.

tritonman5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
on high mileage engines, the oil only needs to be changed ever 3k miles if you are using reg oil. but if you run synthetic, you can get 5-8k out of an oil change. at least thats the way i learned it. i currently run reg motorcraft oil and filter but am changing to synthetic and K&N filter on the next change (this weekend). i have 110k on my 01 EB.

we are kind of on the same page.im coming up on 110k miles also.i've always used pennzoil but wondered is there something better than that??i was using the k&n filter but found out that fram oil filters works better,but im wondering since highmilage engines need more of a frequent oil change than younger motors,is mobile 1 really the best way to go being that you dont have to change your oil untill every 5k??

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khwolf13