What is that noise while driving?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LG_123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What could it be?? Dangerous to drive?

The noise started only while towing our travel trailer and now it happens often, always over ~40mph. If I let off the gas, it stops. It also stops on its own after 1-2 seconds and sounds like whatever is causing the rattle snaps off. Sometimes I can also hear whatever it is hit the wheel well. It must be tiny because I can’t see anything in the mirror.

It snaps off more quickly when I’m driving faster.

I thought it was the brakes but all new pads, rotors, and one caliper didn’t fix the issue. There’s nothing visibly wrong anywhere… I’m stumped.

In the video it sounds more like grinding. With the window open, it sounds more like the wheel of fortune wheel spinning rapidly, except the flexible thing slowing down the wheel snaps off after a couple seconds.

I’m out of ideas!

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
can’t tell anything in the video
Make sure nothing is stuck to your drive shaft.
Is AC on or defrost when you hear this?

OP
OP
LG_123

LG_123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the noise is there regardless of whether the AC or fan is on.
I couldn’t see anything amiss when I crawled underneath it but I’ll try to get a closer look at the drive shaft

Benztech

Reaction score
Sounds like more of an exhaust rattle to me. Are you able to duplicate it revving the motor while on park or in gear holding the brake?

OP
OP
LG_123

LG_123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here’s a better video of the sound. You can hear it in the background behind the wind. https://youtube.com/shorts/KdeEUJgRER8?si=_CKf68kLi6_OvGBa

I can’t reproduce while stationary, only while moving.

I had a look at the underside of the car again but can’t see much of the driveshaft to figure out if there’s something wrapped around it.