Why JLT Catch Can at 4x the cost of other options on Amazon & EBay?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Woodwolf

Reaction score
I finally decided to add a catch can to my 2019 Platinum. I ma baffled by the abundance of offers on Amazon and EBay. What sets these apart? What do I need to look for? Are the JLT costs justified? with what?
I don’t want to be ignorant about it, I just don’t know. Some guidance from people in the know is greatly appreciated.

armyveterantn

Reaction score

Attachments

• 451017785_10232421528511642_5048204974916880131_n.jpg
    451017785_10232421528511642_5048204974916880131_n.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It is a frickin steal in comparison to MANY out there, from a Company located in Virginia that you can call if you have any issues. Many of the Amazon kits are just metal cans with no screens or baffles.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This one https://offroadalliance.com/products/jlt-oil-catch-can/ is the one I have on the passenger side. I had to massage the bracket using a bench vise and my hand to modify it for my 2017.
If you had bought the kit designed for the 15-17 Expedition, you wouldn't have had to bend anything. You bought the wrong kit. There is absolutely no advantage to buy from anywhere other than directly from JLOSC(Previously JLT). Most of the other companies that sell it do direct ship from JLOSC anyway. Also, when you order they verify your car, year, and Engine so you get the correct kit.

armyveterantn

Reaction score
If you had bought the kit designed for the 15-17 Expedition, you wouldn't have had to bend anything. You bought the wrong kit. There is absolutely no advantage to buy from anywhere other than directly from JLOSC(Previously JLT). Most of the other companies that sell it do direct ship from JLOSC anyway. Also, when you order they verify your car, year, and Engine so you get the correct kit.
I get it, but hey it works and doesn't look half bad where I mounted it. Edited my reply with the correct link for the Expeditions.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I get it, but hey it works and doesn't look half bad where I mounted it. Edited my reply with the correct link for the Expeditions.
Agreed. Looks good. One of the options for the 15-17 used to mount there for those that ran early kits on a 2015. Moved to the battery area mount for the current kits. No longer have to reach over the motor. It is an advantage in some ways and disadvantage in others. Still have the 2015 kit in my Garage, from where I removed it, when our 15 was totaled.

OP
OP
W

Woodwolf

Reaction score
It is a frickin steal in comparison to MANY out there, from a Company located in Virginia that you can call if you have any issues. Many of the Amazon kits are just metal cans with no screens or baffles.
I get that and I am reluctant to buy offshore stuff. However would a dip stick not be advisable ? Or a drain valve *? Why do some have vents?
I just wanted to learn a little more from people like you with experience.

Alwaysthinkin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I get that and I am reluctant to buy offshore stuff. However would a dip stick not be advisable ? Or a drain valve *? Why do some have vents?
I just wanted to learn a little more from people like you with experience.
Sounds like you're overthinking this one. JLT catch can is a proven product, installs quickly, easily unscrews for emptying, and just plain works. Just my two cents worth.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
I bought the JLT can with the extension to double the capacity. A minor hassle to dump the waste oil because I need a step stool to reach it so the enlarged capacity insures the level never gets near the top if I forget to check it. Easier for me to dismount the can from the firewall so I can get a good grip on it. Takes less time to dismount, dump, and remount than it took to type this.

-- Chuck

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I bought the JLT can with the extension to double the capacity. A minor hassle to dump the waste oil because I need a step stool to reach it so the enlarged capacity insures the level never gets near the top if I forget to check it. Easier for me to dismount the can from the firewall so I can get a good grip on it. Takes less time to dismount, dump, and remount than it took to type this.

-- Chuck
The current kit for the 15-`17 no longer mounts to the Firewall. It mounts by the battery on the front left of the Engine bay. That was discussed above.