Wierd Stuff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigblack

Reaction score
I've had some wierd transmission issues pop up with my '11 Expy and I was wondering if anyone had any insight on them before I take it to the dealer. I don't think any of the TSB's cover the 11's.

1. I get a 200 rpm surge whenever I let off the gas, step on the gas after coasting, step on the brake, or let off the brake.

2. Sometimes, when climbing a hill with light throttle, the truck will begin to hesitate/stutter/ then it will dowshift hard. Usually after it downshifts, it will feel like it has less power than before the shift.

3. I get a droning sound and a vibration that I feel in the pedals only between 1800 and 2000 rpm only in 3rd and 4th gear.

4. I have noticed a "hot metal" kind of smell from the front of the truck. The brakes are not hot though.

5. recently I think I have felt it slipping when it shifts.

I'm not sure if these are all related or sperate issues. None of the se problems exist when its cold. They usually spring up after driving for 20 minutes or so, or after sitting in a parking lot in the hot sun all day when the temp is over 80 degrees.

Any Ideas? Thanks!

SOLISIMO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know on mine i was having the stuttering problem when i would gun it. My dealer said everything was fine and said it could be bc of the tires. I think it only does it when its cold

As far as the other stuff there is a member on here who you might wanna pm he knows his shit with the third gen. Interceptor is his name. Plus there is another thread somewhere on here about tranny issues on the 3rd gen

treycool94

Full Access Members
Reaction score
my dads 07 like to stutter when i gun it to but it useually stops when i tern off the traction controle idk if its the tranny or the a messed up speed sensor or somthin for the traction controle

wjc3usa

Reaction score
Part of the issue, maybe 1/4.. the ECM turns off the injectors while moving and the pedal is not being pressed.

You can feel the engine come alive as you gently press on the pedal. The only problem I have with that is, I cannot use idle power to maintain speed in certain instances. It looks "feels" like the injectors re-enable around 25mph. That's another topic I suppose.

On a more related note.. I was driving home one night, around 100 miles or so on the odo, I could smell hot metal inside the cab. When parked there was steam coming from the front hood and radiator fluid smell. I hesitated opening the hood but I figured if it catches fire at 100 miles, I don't care.

It turned out the catch bucket was over filled. It still sits well above the "cold fill" in the mornings. Popped the cap the next morning and nothing spewed out. And the steam was the transmission rad boiling off rain water. Does the "HD transmission radiator" still run through engine rad first/second?

No noises detected so far. ~300 miles though. Getting worried now... :(

Walt.

smoke0480

Reaction score
my 2008 el limited stuttered. took it in and there was an update for the tranny. been runnin fine ever since..

rick chitown

Full Access Members
Reaction score
whats up fellas, long time no creepin' the board, been busy... so, I'm not even sure why I clicked on this thread as it says nothing in the title about tranny problems...
So, is a trip to the dealership unanimous then? My '10 has done some/all of these weird various behaviors since new. I just chalked it up to too much technology in the software or just a new drive feel than my '05. But I am here to tell you, I have NEVER enjoyed driving this new one as much as my '05.
Feels like its stuttering, feels like its getting robbed of power at certain times... I'll be at my dealer this week! thanks!!
Rick

OP
OP
bigblack

bigblack

Reaction score
Rick, please keep us posted on your trip to the dealer. Mine does EXACTLY what you described. Stutters and seems like its robbed of power sometimes. Please keep us up to date on what they say.

smoke0480

Reaction score
Do you know what the update fixed/repaired?

Walt.

i have no idea..when i test drove it i noticed it...i told them if if they got the issue fixed i'd buy it..couple hours later had it in the shop and back out and it drove just fine..havent had a problem since