rear heat problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97xltexpo

Reaction score
ok so i am confused i cant get my rear blower motor to turn on through the switch. i changed my overhead console cuz i had the wrong one. then i tested the rear blower motor resistor plug and i have no power to it, i tested the blower wheel plug and no power there either, i then tested the plug on top of rear blower motor and i only have power in one prong. I can run straight power to the wheel and get it to turn on, and the blower motor resistor is new anybody have any ideas. i checked all the maxi fuses and fuses under dash and they all seem good. is there a relay that runs it all

OP
OP

97xltexpo

Reaction score
ok so after doin a lityle more messing around with the test light i can get power to light up the the bulb on all plugs and in different prongs on the resistor plug at different fan speeds so tomoro i am goin to try and take my front resistor out and use it in the back and see if i can get blower on if not i have no idea what to do as i have power and if i directly run power to wheel i can turn it on so im hoping its the resistor

OP
OP

97xltexpo

Reaction score
so i swapped resistors today nd nothing, no matter what i do i cant get the rear heat to come on, i have checked all fuses and they are good, is there a relay or does anyone have a diagram on the wiring for the rear heating system when the 2 plugs are plugged in on the overhead only the light and instrument lights work on the overhead i cannot get the fan to turn on but if i sit in back and move the blend switches i can hear them move behind the panel just cant get any power to the wheel

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, you can't get the auxiliary blower motor to turn on, regardless of temperature or speed, right?

I know you said all fuses were fine, but make sure fuses 114 and 7 are fine.

If they are fine, take out fuse 7. Put the function selector switch in PANEL. Take a multimeter and set it to the (DC) voltage settting. Take one of the leads, and place it in the socket where 7 fuse goes. Take the other lead, and put it to ground. Is the voltage greater than 10V?

Assuming it is, put the speed selector in HIGH. Go to the connector that's on the auxiliary blower motor, and measure the voltage between Circuit 536 (BK/LG) and Circuit 515 (O/R). Should look like this:
SYJusenfileAM1790A_gifgenref.gif

Is the voltage greater than 10V? If it is, you need a new motor. If it isn't, continue reading.

Measure the voltage between Circuit 536 (BK/LG) and ground.
SYJusenfileAM1825A_gifgenref.gif

Is the voltage greater than 10V?

I'll leave it at that for now, until you reply :)

OP
OP

97xltexpo

Reaction score
i dot have a fuse 114 my book says 13 nd 7 but i have power just cant get blower motor to kick on

Last edited:
OP
OP

97xltexpo

Reaction score
and i actually am not to sure if i am getting power to the plug directly on the motor that you are askin me to test i will check but if im not gettin power what would the problem be and if i am gettin power wat could it be. is there a relay or another fuse

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm just typing up the procedure for checking for an inoperative auxiliary blower motor. Granted, they're for a 2000 Expy, since that is how low my manual will go. I just figured they were the same.

Either way, I guess try to measure the voltage between the 7 (under the steering wheel) and 13 (in the engine compartment), though it might be a little difficult. It shouldn't be greater than 10V.

Then put the selection dial to PANEL, and measure the voltage between the 7 fuse slot (with the fuse out) and ground. It should be greater than 10V.

From there, just follow the directions as in post 4. Tell me if one of the conditions is not met. From there, we can try to figure out why.

OP
OP

97xltexpo

Reaction score
if i run direct power to the blower motor it turns on but i dont think i have power at the plug to the motor do you know where the aux blower relay is located because i had red it was in the panel were the motor is under the 2nd row seatbelt assembly but i dont have one there

outkast

Full Access Members
Reaction score
nevermind...you already replied to it...did you check that harness under your center console...

also..for your rear heat, do you have a set of switches for the rear (behind you) and a set at your dash? or just controls behind you?

my blower motor plug would light a test light, but only on the orange wire.

it also suprises me that yours doesn't have fuse 114....maybe try and put on in.

I only found that plug because when I went to test for power at my rear switches, it was non existant...then I moved up till I found it

Last edited: