2004 Expy transfer case module issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JAG63

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i have a 2004 Expy EB and the 4wd does not work, no lights on the dash at start up and the fuses look fine so my guess is the transfer case module on the drivers side door pillar is bad? has anyone else had issues with these going bad? when i turn the 4wd switch nothing happens at all no clicking and no lights on the dash and everything 4wd related looks like it has been changed already. any and all help is greatly appreciated

B

bedrck46

Have you looked at the wiring harness under the floor where it goes to the transfer case. I just got a 2001 expy and had a similar problem and when I checked the wiring I found 6 broken wires.

bertro

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There's no light for the auto 4WD mode, only for the 4x4 HI and LO.
Also, i don't remember ever hearing any click when simply turning the dial to 4WD. The way it works is that it will still run in RWD only until it detects loss of traction (uses the ABS speed sensors on the rear wheels) and only then will it engage the front.

So your 4WD might be okay. Have you tested 4x4 HI? Does that work? That one has a light and makes a sound when you turn the dial. And you will also feel that it's engaged when driving and especially when turning.

OP
OP
J

JAG63

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry i should have been more clear i have no 4h or 4l lights on the dash, i write 4wd just to abbreviate four wheel drive not the automatic four wheel drive mode. The only way i can get my expedition in for wheel drive is to lay underneath it unbolt the transfer case shift motor and manually put the trader case in four high or four low.