2009 Expedition XL Limited

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rick241

Reaction score
My Expedition will not start. Batter good, starter good, and now told it is the PCM. Apparently Ford no longer makes those for 2009 models and cannot find one anywhere. Am I out of luck?

BigOleFordFan

Reaction score
A) You need to find a new mechanic, cause your current does not appear to be very knowledgeable if he/she jumps straight to the PCM...

I'm not saying that your PCM is not at fault, however, the only way to tell is with proper diagnostics being run, which usually will identify the root cause, but not always...

B) As noted, PCM's are readily available, if you look around...

C) There are a number reasons for not starting, like the keys not being recognized, the ignition switch failing, certain relays/fuses needing to be replaced etc ect....

If your Expy has a passive anti-theft system (PATS), that can also be a potential point of malfunction/failure as well...

AND, as noted on the linked vendor page above, replacing the PCM is NOT a simple as removing the old one & installing the new one.. they have to be programmed to your specific vehicle during installation, using the VIN number, so that all applicable codes & programming is correct and as current as possible...

Anyways, good luck & please post back with your results :D

Dennis_H

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it is your PCM, or think you are going to send it for evaluation, I can highly recommend to NOT send it to ModuleExperts in Jacksonville, FL. I def got ripped off on one for my son's Escape. Thought it was PCM, sent it to them, and they 'tested' it and said it had completely failed and needed a new one. Went through the process and had the same issue with the new one. Turned out my replacement alternator was causing the charging issue and nothing was wrong with the one sent in. Fought them for a while and did get part of the money back.