2015 expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thomas D

Reaction score
2015 expedition power tailgate lift.
Will not open all the way. I manually push it up another 4-6 inches. Has the usual struts plus another rod that I presume is the power tailgate lift.
Any ideas why it’s not lifting all the way?

iimagine

2016 EL XLT
Reaction score
Struts probably never replaced and are shot.
My first idea.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2015 expedition power tailgate lift.
Will not open all the way. I manually push it up another 4-6 inches. Has the usual struts plus another rod that I presume is the power tailgate lift.
Any ideas why it’s not lifting all the way?

The two gas-charged struts are weak. Replace them.

The power ram pushes open the door to a certain point, then the gas-charged struts push the hatch the rest of the way open. The power ram also pulls the hatch shut.

The performance of the existing struts may get worse in cold weather, and the opened hatch may drop slowly.

I replaced the original struts on my 2015 with OEM Motorcraft parts. They are very easy to replace, and are specific to the left and right side.

If you want me to post the part numbers, please ask and I will later today.

hahuston

Reaction score
In the manual for my 2014, it said it may not open fully in cold weather and to push it up the rest of the way. I don't remember what temp it said this may occur at.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk