2019 Expedition Max 202a- Cant live with it, Cant live without it

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OldSchoolMec

Reaction score
Ok Ford Fam,

What is not to love about the Expedition much less the Max. I love everything about it except the reliability. Its sitting at the dealer again and is now having the transmission rebuilt. Here is my list of what has been done so far while owning this beauty other than regular maintenance.

Cam Phase sensors x 3
Rotors at 10k
Sunroof leak at 2500 miles and the other side at 36k, had to pay for that one out of pocket.
New Exhaust at 40k
Transmission rebuild at 45k - after telling several dealers something is wrong with the transmission since it was new, they kept telling me its common on the 10 speed and they reset the computer and once it learns my driving style it will smooth out. x 20

My original tires have outlasted the transmission and most of the drive train on this thing but I cant find anything else that I enjoy driving more than this stupid unreliable gas guzzling monstrosity. I absolutely hate that its been in the shop so much (4-6 Months tot) but I cant find anything that has the same room, comfort and enjoyable ride as this. So what are we to do?

Its a total love and hate relationship, unlike anything I have experienced with any of my Fords of the past, but here I am. Im finally stuck with the hot woman thats great in bed and cant do much else. Do I run for the hills or suck it up and call myself lucky to be in the club and go along with the ride until she leaves me heart broken.

Im pretty sure I could write a country song about the Expy with the agony and pain this thing has caused me and probably future financial ruin, but for the love of all things innocent I cant let go for some reason?!!

If your looking to join this heartbreak club, enjoy them while they last.....

Enough said....

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok Ford Fam,

What is not to love about the Expedition much less the Max. I love everything about it except the reliability. Its sitting at the dealer again and is now having the transmission rebuilt. Here is my list of what has been done so far while owning this beauty other than regular maintenance.

Cam Phase sensors x 3
Rotors at 10k
Sunroof leak at 2500 miles and the other side at 36k, had to pay for that one out of pocket.
New Exhaust at 40k
Transmission rebuild at 45k - after telling several dealers something is wrong with the transmission since it was new, they kept telling me its common on the 10 speed and they reset the computer and once it learns my driving style it will smooth out. x 20

My original tires have outlasted the transmission and most of the drive train on this thing but I cant find anything else that I enjoy driving more than this stupid unreliable gas guzzling monstrosity. I absolutely hate that its been in the shop so much (4-6 Months tot) but I cant find anything that has the same room, comfort and enjoyable ride as this. So what are we to do?

Its a total love and hate relationship, unlike anything I have experienced with any of my Fords of the past, but here I am. Im finally stuck with the hot woman thats great in bed and cant do much else. Do I run for the hills or suck it up and call myself lucky to be in the club and go along with the ride until she leaves me heart broken.

Im pretty sure I could write a country song about the Expy with the agony and pain this thing has caused me and probably future financial ruin, but for the love of all things innocent I cant let go for some reason?!!

If your looking to join this heartbreak club, enjoy them while they last.....

Enough said....
Trade it in for a 2023 (Built after 08/15/2022) or 2024 model. It seems Ford has redesigned a lot of flawed parts, especially on transmission. Camphaser is redesigned as well.

OP
OP
O

OldSchoolMec

Reaction score
Trade it in for a 2023 (Built after 08/15/2022) or 2024 model. It seems Ford has redesigned a lot of flawed parts, especially on transmission. Camphaser is redesigned as well.
I guess throwing more money at a never ending problem is always a solution however with the issues I have suffered and amount of money that will be lost, do I really want to reinvest in a product from the same company? That is a tough pill to swallow. If the customer service was good and they were very attentive to the needs of there customers it would be one thing but they are very hard to deal with and get any true help from. I have finally found a dealer, after going to 5 other dealers, that does provide great service and does good work but man was that a nightmare to find. Then there is dealing with Ford company, they are one of the least customer focused and oriented companies I have ever dealt with.

29twonine

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think our '22 was built on 8-18-22, did I dodge a bullet or do you think I have all the old leftover parts??!

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think our '22 was built on 8-18-22, did I dodge a bullet or do you think I have all the old leftover parts??!
According to Ford TSB 22-2428, yes, you may dodge the bullet on 10R80 transmission. But you have to check your transmission built date.

"Some 2017-2023 F-150, 2018-2023 Expedition/Navigator/Mustang, 2019-2023 Ranger, 2020-2023 Explorer/Aviator/Transit and2021-2023 Bronco vehicles equipped with a 10R60 transmission and built on or before 23-Dec-2022 or with a 18R80/10R80MHT transmission and built on or before 15-Aug-2022 may exhibit a harsh/delayed engagement and/or harsh/delayed shift. It is possible the vehicle may also have an illuminated malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) or diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) P0751, P0752, P0756, P0757,P0761, P0762, P0766, P0767, P0771, P0772, P2700, P2701, P2702, P2703, P2704, P2705, P2707, P2708, P0729, P0731, P0732,P0733, P0734, P0735, P0736, P076F, P07D9, P07F6 and/or P07F7 stored in the powertrain control module (PCM) or transmission control module (TCM). This may be due to the software in the powertrain control module (PCM) or transmission control module (TCM),the transmission solenoid ID strategy, sticking valves in the main control valve body and/or axial movement of the CDF clutch cylinder(7H351) sleeve. To correct the condition, follow the Service Procedure to identify and correct the condition."

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

OldSchoolMec

Reaction score
**Update**
I got the EXPY back today, It says they applied the new TSB 23-2250 and still had issues and they overhauled and installed the updated trans CDF hub D that had axial movement and caused the sun gear seal to pop off, they also replaced some steels and clutch along with multiple seals and a spring.

I will start putting it through the paces over the next few weeks and let you know how it goes.

When they called it an Expedition, I had no idea what kind of expedition I was signing up for.... :)

Expedition Definition: a journey or voyage undertaken by a group of people with a particular purpose, especially that of exploration, scientific research, or war.

Last edited: