2nd Gen is the real deal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
and as far as driving them i haven't done long haul but have a cdl for driving a boom truck. and the people out there must not value their life and think this things can stop on a dime. i've been cut off and had to go onto shoulder to keep from hitting. i once had to switch lanes cuz somebody tried to drive under my truck just in front of my rear tires. i swear people just dont pay attention anymore. ok enough with this rant.

are you serious? and i though talking on the phone was illegal in cali now?! idiots!!! i had a girl not look and almost hit my trailer. and its small. its in a few other pics. she though she could squeeze between me and another car. not seeing my trailer. which has side marker lights by the way... came with the light kit. so idk how she didnt see it.

ScottyDsntKnow

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why so much hate on the 2nd gen? Its my favorite of all the Expos by far hence the reason I got a 2003. Love the IRS, love how comfortable it is, options, the refinement, the stiffer frame and I do like the look way better. 3rd gen was in my price range if I pushed it but I was not really impressed with it very much compared to 2nd gen. I mean it IS nicer but I honestly don't like its looks as much and it doesn't really have any more bells and whistles than my 03 Eddie Bauer does. Not to mention that the 03/04 Expo motors are almost a direct bolt on for the Lightning supercharger setup as are the 1st gens with the same motor.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
My favorite feature of the gen 2 expys over my gen 1 expy is the back seat. You can actually use it. So it can sit 7? comfortably. I took the back seat out of my expy because I did not even consider it useful. With the independent rear suspension it should handle better but I prefer the solid axle just for durability.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
On these roller test they perform how does a driver make a big difference? It appears to me they come to a complete stop on them not allowing momentem to be a factor. I would assume they use the same settings on all the vehicles. I think the point there is to test the various 4wd 's capability under the same circumstance. Now the only difference between drivers then would be the amount of throttle input and if they use the same driver the test should be legit.

ScottyDsntKnow

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My favorite feature of the gen 2 expys over my gen 1 expy is the back seat. You can actually use it. So it can sit 7? comfortably. I took the back seat out of my expy because I did not even consider it useful. With the independent rear suspension it should handle better but I prefer the solid axle just for durability.

Agree, I one of the horrors of road trips during my childhood in the mid-late 90s was having to remove gigantic and heavy seats from our minivan whenever we wanted to have more space or cargo room. That stow away rear seat alone was reason enough for me to get the 2nd gen over the 1st gen along with everything else I mentioned. My only real gripe with the 2nd gen is a few things with the styling that are easy enough to fix with an aftermarket hood, grille swap, smoke the lights and a few other odds and ends. That and it looks like it sits way too low...easy enough to rectify with a simple 3/2 body lift though.

Being able to bolt the lightning supercharger setup onto the 03/04 2nd gen just makes it even better which is why I didn't even look at 05/06s and Navis. Not to mention they are practically giving the "underpowered" 260hp SOHC 2V equipped Expys away these days.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
"Being able to bolt the lightning supercharger setup onto the 03/04 2nd gen just makes it even better which is why I didn't even look at 05/06s and Navis. Not to mention they are practically giving the "underpowered" 260hp SOHC 2V equipped Expys away these days"

Cool. I did not even realize the 03 & 04 came with the 2v 5.4 till now. I will keep that in mind if I ever need to find a new home for my motor build.