4A binding on 22 Expedition Timberline

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rgbpixels

Reaction score
Hello,
Had my truck looked at numerous times(had to have it towed once for this issue). I normally drive in 4A and about 4 times in the last 6 months, the front binds up (to the point you can’t drive). Owners manual says 4A can be used all the time and conditions.
Dealers say they cannot find any issues and state the Timberline should not be driven in 4A unless it’s raining or snowing. As a side note, Sport mode puts it in 4A for dry pavement.
When it binds up, I switch to 2H for a minute and then switch it back to 4A and all is good until the next time.
Any thoughts?
Thank you.

HILLY

Reaction score
You should be able to drive 4A anytime you want. The binding is definitely indicative of the center differential locked up and not allowing the drivetrain to freely move.

Dealer saying that you shouldn't drive it unless in rain & snow sounds like a cop-out answer or they don't really know what they're saying. Like you said, if you put it in sport mode and 4A activates, it shouldn't matter. The system is designed to run as an AWD setup in 4A.

Sounds like a possible programming glitch based on your statement of what the workaround is. I'd try to reach out to Ford direct and see if you can get a case started on this since the dealer(s) so far are of no help.

OP
OP
R

rgbpixels

Reaction score
Thank you. I reached out to Ford Corp and they opened a case. My main Ford dealer said they will not work with Ford on this issue, because it’s not a problem!! Trying to find a good dealer at this point that will work the tech ticket open on this. Thank you for confirming 4A, I appreciate it.

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It seems your dealer may be thinking of 4WD with hubs engaged. That is a big no, no, on dry pavement. Totally different from all wheel drive.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jefes_Shyt