4x4 Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Or somewhere in the line going to that wheel. Ah the joys of old brittle vacuum components……

I just installed hub lockouts this weekend on mine. Now my front axles are always engaged but 4wd is still determined by the transfercase. No more grinding, no more noise, no more vacuum system components to worry about.

OP
OP
Shantheman73

Shantheman73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Or somewhere in the line going to that wheel. Ah the joys of old brittle vacuum components……

I just installed hub lockouts this weekend on mine. Now my front axles are always engaged but 4wd is still determined by the transfercase. No more grinding, no more noise, no more vacuum system components to worry about.
What are lockouts and how are they different than just leaving it in 4WD auto all the time? Doesn’t that just leave them engaged too?

justinp16ex

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What are lockouts and how are they different than just leaving it in 4WD auto all the time? Doesn’t that just leave them engaged too?
Yes, 4 Auto leaves them engaged all the time, but the transfer case will put power to the front drive line. With the lockouts there is no power going to the front unless 4A or 4WD is selected. The hubs are always engaged, but no more need to worry about vacuum line failure or IWE failure. The reason they use the IWE system is to eliminate the small MPG losses you may have from having the front hubs locked in all the time. The losses or gains are likely not noticable.

OP
OP
Shantheman73

Shantheman73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, 4 Auto leaves them engaged all the time, but the transfer case will put power to the front drive line. With the lockouts there is no power going to the front unless 4A or 4WD is selected. The hubs are always engaged, but no more need to worry about vacuum line failure or IWE failure. The reason they use the IWE system is to eliminate the small MPG losses you may have from having the front hubs locked in all the time. The losses or gains are likely not noticable.
So for now…I’m fine to drive around in 4WD auto? The only thing I notice is how the steering feels much different.

justinp16ex

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So for now…I’m fine to drive around in 4WD auto? The only thing I notice is how the steering feels much different.
The only time I had the heavy steering wheel feel was when I got into the throttle while Auto 4 was engaging, I got a clunking noise and the steering wheel was heavy to the left. After I drove a few feet without Auto 4 engaged, the steering corrected itself. I would check to see that both hubs are engaging when you go to 4wd instead of just one.

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
WTF don't they bring back the manual locking hub? I guess people just became too lazy to turn a red disc.

OP
OP
Shantheman73

Shantheman73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The only time I had the heavy steering wheel feel was when I got into the throttle while Auto 4 was engaging, I got a clunking noise and the steering wheel was heavy to the left. After I drove a few feet without Auto 4 engaged, the steering corrected itself. I would check to see that both hubs are engaging when you go to 4wd instead of just one.
OK, that helps. I think the weird thing for me is that while I’m driving around in 4WD auto, sometimes the steering wheel is heavy in corners, and sometimes it’s not. I’m not sure what issue that points to, because technically the hubs are engaged. Maybe the transfer case is actually sending power to them when that’s happening?