97-05 5.4L ?'s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lve2wheel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 5.4 in my 97 expedition and in my 05 superduty, What are the differences between the two motors? Is anything interchangable? I dropping a way bigger motor in my EXPY over the winter and was thinking about saving the motor incase something in the superduty went bad. Any chance the trans is similar?

OP
OP
lve2wheel

lve2wheel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
damn, so are any of the accessories even the same? Was hoping to hear something a little better, but thats what I thought.

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
3v started in 05 for expedition so there's that...

What 6K said!!

Someone with production knowledge can better answer this, but the SD might not have had the 3V in 2005. I know Ford sometimes had carryover engines for one model, but not in another. So the Expy had the 3V in 2005, and the SD MIGHT have had a 2V. Just need to make sure before you make the assumption they are the same.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
97 motor will have non-PI heads so they will have larger combustion chambers and be useless on the new motor anyways. Unless you like less power haha.

OP
OP
lve2wheel

lve2wheel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
97 motor will have non-PI heads so they will have larger combustion chambers and be useless on the new motor anyways. Unless you like less power haha.

Less Power? NO! The thing is a turd aleady. lol. Quadcab short bed 4x4 Superduty with a small v8(in my opinion). But if the bottom end is the same and all the accessories are the same i could maybe build the other motor while its in the garage and throw a good top end kit on it and make some decent power out of it. IF the blocks are the same. From what I understand, the basic 5.4 blocks are the same but the top ends are different, between PI and Non PI motors. Any truth to that?

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The blocks should be the same. The lower end should also be the same since stroke and displacement never changed. Only difference would be the type of Pistons. My plan was to build a 5.4 using non PI motor Pistons with PI motor heads. Brings the compression up to 10.5:1 I think if I remember my math right.