Adaptive Cruise Control Scare

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SunnySunshine

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yesterday, our family had the 1st adaptive cruise control scare on our brand new 2024 Ford Expedition Platinum. Not sure if the vehicle picked up a speed limit sign from the highway or got the wrong map information, but where I marked the "X" on the map, was where the vehicle floored it. It increased the set speed to 65MPH when we entered the on ramp which by the way is no where near designed for that speed. That was our first scare. My dad immediately braked to cancel the cruise control and didn't turn it back on until we got on the freeway and moved over a couple lanes.

I think Ford can totally correct this by prompting you to confirm when it detects a sudden 25+ MPH speed limit change, because there is usually something wrong with the detection.

On the other hand, we got to use BlueCruise extensively yesterday. It worked flawlessly, and other than that 1 scare with the adaptive cruise, the rest of the time, it drove just fine (no auto lane changes yet)! It did mistakenly detect and drop our speed on a "55MPH while towing" signs. My dad likes it way better than our old vehicles (2005/2006 model year). Unfortunately I forgot my wallet at home so I didn't drive yesterday.

Screenshot 2024-05-06 120226.png

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yesterday, our family had the 1st adaptive cruise control scare on our brand new 2024 Ford Expedition Platinum. Not sure if the vehicle picked up a speed limit sign from the highway or got the wrong map information, but where I marked the "X" on the map, was where the vehicle floored it. It increased the set speed to 65MPH when we entered the on ramp which by the way is no where near designed for that speed. That was our first scare. My dad immediately braked to cancel the cruise control and didn't turn it back on until we got on the freeway and moved over a couple lanes.

I think Ford can totally correct this by prompting you to confirm when it detects a sudden 25+ MPH speed limit change, because there is usually something wrong with the detection.

On the other hand, we got to use BlueCruise extensively yesterday. It worked flawlessly, and other than that 1 scare with the adaptive cruise, the rest of the time, it drove just fine (no auto lane changes yet)! It did mistakenly detect and drop our speed on a "55MPH while towing" signs. My dad likes it way better than our old vehicles (2005/2006 model year). Unfortunately I forgot my wallet at home so I didn't drive yesterday.

Congrats on the new vehicle, as for adaptive speed control you can turn it off or adjust the tolerance.
It is not perfect and still needs close attention. Especially construction zones or service roads.

JimW

Reaction score
Yes I had mine surge on a roundabout when the vehicle in front of me went around the roundaboat

Michael Shepherd

Reaction score
Not sure if the vehicle picked up a speed limit sign from the highway or got the wrong map information, but where I marked the "X" on the map, was where the vehicle floored it.
Unless Ford made some AI upgrades, that is really not how adaptive speed control works. Again, unless this changed between gen 3 & 4, adaptive cruise control simply uses the sensors in the front bumper to detect the distance and closure rate to the vehicle ahead and depending on the 'gap' that you have set, will accelerate/decelerate as required to maintain the following interval. So if the car ahead moves to another lane and you are significantly below the set cruise speed, then as long as no vehicles or other obstacles are detected in the 'gap' ahead, the vehicle will accelerate to the required speed.

ShawnP

Reaction score
Unless Ford made some AI upgrades, that is really not how adaptive speed control works. Again, unless this changed between gen 3 & 4, adaptive cruise control simply uses the sensors in the front bumper to detect the distance and closure rate to the vehicle ahead and depending on the 'gap' that you have set, will accelerate/decelerate as required to maintain the following interval. So if the car ahead moves to another lane and you are significantly below the set cruise speed, then as long as no vehicles or other obstacles are detected in the 'gap' ahead, the vehicle will accelerate to the required speed.
I have a 2020 Expedition, but I know that even back then the Explorers had the tech to read speed limit signs...so without checking the specs on the new Expeditions, it would not be surprising if they had the tech as well.

Moeman

Reaction score
I agree with some of the others that your description sounds a bit off - I wouldn't expect the set speed to change, but rather it seems that an object was no longer detected and thus it resumed speed. Plus, if you weren't driving, do you really know for sure? Regardless, I don't put a whole lot of faith into the driver assist systems as I've experienced my fair share of the wonky choices they sometimes make (e.g. a Tesla pulling us into oncoming traffic around a curve). I mostly use adaptive and lane keep as a little assistance when I want to do something on my phone that will distract me more than I'm comfortable with. Otherwise, no thank you - the less electronics in a vehicle the better. I'll continue to maintain my own control of the vehicle for now.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2020 Expedition, but I know that even back then the Explorers had the tech to read speed limit signs...so without checking the specs on the new Expeditions, it would not be surprising if they had the tech as well.
Expy didn't get this feature until 22my

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jefes_Shyt