Another "new owner" question on the keyless entry system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Andy(SC)

Reaction score
One more question on our new '03 XLT . . . .

The truck has keyless entry but the remote does not work . . . . dealer forgot to mention it to me when I picked it up but confirmed it when I called him a few hundred miles down the road when I stopped for gas. The door locks open / close using the rocker switch in the vehicle . . . just not with the remote.

The truck also has the touchpads on the drivers door (hate to say that this is the 1st vehicle I have ever had with this on it:confused: ).

My question is actually two parts . . .

1) Assuming it is just the battery on the key fob remote being dead, is there anything tricky to get ot to work when replacing the battery due to the key pad on the door?

2) Without any original paperwork, how to I figure out what the code is for the door keypad?

Thanks in advance

Andy

lakmflx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 99 and the code for mine is at the drivers side... Lay on your back and look up underneath the dash, there should be a black plastic looking box with some numbers on it. Lets say the numbers are :77957-3

The 77957 would unlock just the drivers door but if you enter all the numbers in it unlocks all the doors.

Now for the remote not working, you can reprogram it. To do this put the key in the ignition and turn it to on. Dont start the truck just turn it so that the electrical system come on. Now you have to cycle the system so what you need to do is cycle the ignition from on to off on to off on to off... If i remember it will take about 5-8 times of cycling WHILE pressing the lock button repeatedly on the remote and it should program itself.

mustangswan

Reaction score
just changing the battery should not make the truck forget the key fob, the truck learns the frequency of the fob and stores it in the module. The program procedure is turn the key from off to the run position 8 times ending in the run position(within 10 seconds or so, so be quick), the power door locks should lock and unlock. This means you have entered the fob learning mode. press any button on each fob and the power locks should cycle if it has accepted the fob. then turn the key off. the locks should cycle again. this procedure erases all fobs in the system and now just the new ones just learned will work. So program all the fobs at the same time. most systems will accept 4 fobs total.
Hope this is helpful.

OP
OP
A

Andy(SC)

Reaction score
Tnaks . . one problem down one to go

Well, I really appreciate the help on the remote . . . replacing the battery did not work but cycling the ignition key with the remote worked like a champ and saved me the $35 the Ford dealer wanted to reprogram the remote . . . great business if you can get it!

Still have not figured out the keypad though . . . looked under the drivers side dash and could not see anything that looked like a box or had numbers on it . . . anyone with an '03 or later that can give me some idea on getting the keypad code?

Thanks again for the help . . . great forum!

Andy

emf22

Reaction score
I believe that starting in 03 that boxes that have the keypad codes on them were placed on the passenger side under the dash instead of the driver side.

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Originally posted by mustangswan
just changing the battery should not make the truck forget the key fob, the truck learns the frequency of the fob and stores it in the module. The program procedure is turn the key from off to the run position 8 times ending in the run position(within 10 seconds or so, so be quick), the power door locks should lock and unlock. This means you have entered the fob learning mode. press any button on each fob and the power locks should cycle if it has accepted the fob. then turn the key off. the locks should cycle again. this procedure erases all fobs in the system and now just the new ones just learned will work. So program all the fobs at the same time. most systems will accept 4 fobs total.
Hope this is helpful.

For anybody else trying this, make sure you unlock all the doors before trying to program the key fob. I tried programming a new one I got, and it took me a couple tries to realize it wouldn't work with only the drivers door unlocked.

johnnystar

Reaction score
Its up inside behind the glovy, like they said, usually its blocked by a big chunk of wires, you gotta kinda pull it back a bit, and use a flashlight, its a big old set of numbers and hard to miss.
Also, If you hold down 7-8 & 9-0 at the same time then for a couple seconds then 1-2, you can enter your own number. If i remember that correctly. the factory # will always remain the same.
It shows you how to reprogram in the manual. I dont have mine with me, otherwise i could tell you.

AvroAero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Reprogramming the remotes is in the owners manual. Keep in mind when you program a vehicle to remotes you must reprogram it to all remotes as it clears all the old remotes.