Any Grease fittings in a 2012?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

12XLT

Reaction score
The last two oil changes on my 2012 Expedition I did myself, using the standard motorcraft synthetic blend w/motorcraft filter. It’s an easy 20 minutes that I have no problem doing but I’m curious about lubrication while I’m under the truck; are there any parts with fittings that I should be greasing? Thanks in advance!

Plati

Reaction score
Not that I know of. However, having replaced my lower steering shaft in the past I think it's a good idea to hit the knuckles with WD40 every fall. I may be wrong since I came up with this on my own. I'll bet there are a few other spots that could use some lubrication. If there were any it would be in the Owners Manual would it not?

Last edited:

mrbadwrench

Reaction score
My 2008 has a lower ball joint that has been replaced with one that has a grease fitting.

mnachreiner86

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I use a grease needle to hit the components that should have grease zerks but don’t. Suspension and steering components, etc when I do my oil changes and tire rotation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not that I know of. However, having replaced my lower steering shaft in the past I think it's a good idea to hit the knuckles with WD40 every fall. I may be wrong since I came up with this on my own. I'll bet there are a few other spots that could use some lubrication. If there were any it would be in the Owners Manual would it not?
They would be in the manual. The wd 40 trick on the shaft is in YouTube in a couple places, it did help mine.

RichardH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm going to have the most unpopular reply here. WD40 is not a lubricant.

WD-40 isn't actually a true lubricant. WD stands for "water displacing" and its main use is as a solvent or rust dissolver. The lubricant-like properties of WD-40 come not from the substance itself, but from dissolving components. ... WD-40 can be a good substance to start with — it can help clean up rust or other grime

https://www.wd40.com/myths-legends-fun-facts/

I'd use a true grease after cleaning with WD40. White lithium is pretty good.
https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-80345-White-Lithium-Grease/dp/B000HBNV58

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm going to have the most unpopular reply here. WD40 is not a lubricant.

WD-40 isn't actually a true lubricant. WD stands for "water displacing" and its main use is as a solvent or rust dissolver. The lubricant-like properties of WD-40 come not from the substance itself, but from dissolving components. ... WD-40 can be a good substance to start with — it can help clean up rust or other grime

https://www.wd40.com/myths-legends-fun-facts/

I'd use a true grease after cleaning with WD40. White lithium is pretty good.
https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-80345-White-Lithium-Grease/dp/B000HBNV58
I know that but it does free up the u-joints on the steering shafts where real oil won't get in there readily. It will act as an oil temporarily in many cases due to it's penetrating properties but it must be repeated unlike oil since it dries up and quits functioning. I agree that white lithium is good but only if you can get it in where it can work, that's why they invented zerk fittings. The steering shaft knuckles don't have those fittings and you are lucky to even get at the bottom one with a spray.

Plati

Reaction score
Navi nailed it. I have a little to add

MrRick ... I've been using WD40 since the 70's so I have some personal experience with "what it does". I consider it (in part) a light oil. I've used it many times and observed what happens. Not claiming to be an expert though, just leveraging my own personal experience WD40 seems to be something that goes after rust and keeps rust from forming and protects. It also has some light lubricating properties. It is temporary and requires reapplication.

Couple of points to make here.

1) You did read the WD40 link you posted, right? It states multiple times that WD40 is a lubricant, contains lubricating oils ... case closed?
2) I'm an amateur "Automotive Mechanic" so this is a best guess on my part BUT I choose not to put grease on the knuckle. I don't want it collect dirt & grime that might booger it up. I want it to turn freely without foreign substances impeding that. It doesn't need grease, it just needs to stay clean and not have corrosion (sort of a foreign substance) build up impeding free movement. I dont even think it needs oil other than as a protectant. Grease might be fine I dunno but I flipped a coin and went with WD40 as a protectant. Although I think I may have hit it quick with Fluid Film in the past!

Here in Salt City, if you dont put some protectant on the knuckle .. it will rust up and get FUGLY making it hard to steer and potentially dangerous. If that does happen then WD40 will free it up and you can get another year or two out of it while saving up the money to replace it.

WD40 is kind of like Shimmer
https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/shimmer-floor-wax/n8625

Last edited: