Building Battery Cables

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigRed2004

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I’m in the process of determining everything I need to do a battery cable replacement on my ‘04 EB. I’m looking to eliminate the dimming effect that happens when multiple electrical systems are being used all at once. I do not want to do a Big 3 upgrade as I don’t want the extra cables in the bay, and my positive cable has a problem with needing to be cleaned on a semi-regular basis to remove corrosion that wont go away.

I’ve gone to the local Pic-A-Part and scavenged the correct sized cable harness to dissect and measure all the relevant cables for length, Neg-Ground, Neg-Start, Eng-Ground, Pos-Start, and Pos-Alt. The one thing that I’m curious about, and probably overthinking is the eyelet connects for the Alternator. The factory eyelets have 90 degree bends on them to help hold them in place on the alternator and prevent any rotation.

IMG_3858.jpeg

Are there any known problems with NOT having the 90 degree bends on a new set of cables?

I would be getting the cables from ceautoelectricsupply.com as they have a cable building section that would allow to get a matching style Neg-Start and Eng-Ground style cable without having to stack multiple cables on each other. None of the eyelets they offer though have the 90 degree bends to prevent any rotation on the starter.

If I’m overthinking this feel free to tell me. I appreciate the time you took to read and respond.