Constant message about Wifi updates -- Sync3 3.0

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
My '17 displays a message about Wifi updates every time I start the truck since the Sync update. Not sure if it goes away on it's own I've closing it.

Getting to to the point of annoyance. Especially since the Wifi feature shows several wireless sources in my driveway but fails to "check firmware version" (or similar) when I have it check thru the signed-on connection.

Any assistance appreciated.

-- Chuck

OP
OP
chuck s

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
The "upgrade" also includes turning the radio onto a blank AM station and killing the ability to use the touch pad when the vehicle is in motion. Add that to the voice going into a 2-minute explanation of the available voice commands when she didn't understand what I said when all I want to do is go home from an unfamiliar area. Exaggeration but it seems like it!

Time to fire up Forscan again and see if I can get the touch panel active on the road again.

Oh yeah, my iPhone takes over the whole system and all I want to do is charge it!

-- Chuck

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The "upgrade" also includes turning the radio onto a blank AM station and killing the ability to use the touch pad when the vehicle is in motion. Add that to the voice going into a 2-minute explanation of the available voice commands when she didn't understand what I said when all I want to do is go home from an unfamiliar area. Exaggeration but it seems like it!

Time to fire up Forscan again and see if I can get the touch panel active on the road again.

Oh yeah, my iPhone takes over the whole system and all I want to do is charge it!

-- Chuck

iPhone taking over is CarPlay, and can be turned off/on per device in the CarPlay settings on the radio. CarPlay has been in play since version 2.0, and is not new to 3.0.

Also, you have never been able to use the Nav touchpad except for favorites once you are in motion. You can change that but you lose some of the Navlink functionality.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Maybe all I could get was Favorites. What Navlink functionality is lost? Actually I can't find a reference to Navilink in the owners manual.

-- Chuck

My bad Chuck, Travel Link not Navlink. The functions affected I think are mentioned in the Forscan sheet.

17LimitedExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My bad Chuck, Travel Link not Navlink. The functions affected I think are mentioned in the Forscan sheet.

You are correct, the FORScan spreadsheet tells you what functions you lose if you enable 'Nav in Motion'...you lose Traffic Info, 911 Assist, and Vehicle Health Reports (which Ford is stopping 1 Aug 2018 anyway).

I like the 'Nav in Motion' feature, it has come in handy a couple of times when the wife wants to change our destination...she types it in and we are on our way. Along with the above features you lose, the European speed limit signs (still in MPH) will appear on your Sync 3 screen...the sign is round (not rectangular) with a red border. No changes on your instrument cluster, you still see the normal rectangular speed limit signs when you select Navigation in the right-side display.