Did the Gotts Mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fraziarwp

Reaction score
Finally got around to doing the Gotts Mod on my Expy. I got a section of 3" ABS sch 40 pipe. Turned out, it was too large. That pipe was going to take a lot of shaving to fit in the sidewall.

So, I remembered another post somewhere that used a tin can. I got a 20 oz. pinapple can and cut the ends out. It fit a little loose, so I wrapped duct tape around it and got a snug fit.

I wrapped several layers of duct tape around the end going into the rubber coupler.

Otherwise the system went together smoothly. Removed the silencer and installed the tin can version.

Will see what it does for mileage. Most trips are in town, so it might not help much.

Daytoman

Reaction score
I used a PVC pipe. I just shaved it down a little with the Dremel tool and it fit like a glove after I tapped in tight with a hammer. With the black, rubber pipe coupler in place, you cant even see the PVC pipe. It looks completely stock.

Last edited:

jeff1998

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Quote: Removed the silencer and installed the tin can version.

Where is this "silencer" guys talk about?? I have a 98 EB with 5.4L I did the gotts mod and a magnaflow but have yet to find the intake silencer. Somebody help me out here. A pic would be nice.

AaronLG

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Quote: Removed the silencer and installed the tin can version.

Where is this "silencer" guys talk about?? I have a 98 EB with 5.4L I did the gotts mod and a magnaflow but have yet to find the intake silencer. Somebody help me out here. A pic would be nice.

I need help too. is it in the fender?

cali

Reaction score
Yes the silencer is the piece that fits in the fender. This is the piece which is removed during this process.

98 Expy XLT 5.4 115K

Gotts Mod

OP
OP
fraziarwp

fraziarwp

Reaction score
Per the instructions, you will remove the section that goes in to the fender. On my 03 - 5.4L, this silencer is attached to this piece and sits next to the radiator. It is all one piece, so it all came out. If you don't see that small plastic jug next to the radiator then you don't have a silencer.

I have not noticed any perceptable change in engine noise.

My initial mistake was that I got ABS pipe instead of PVC. ABS has much thicker wall.

Last edited:

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
for the first gen guys pre 03. so 97-02 the sliencer is a PAIN to get out. not even worth it.