Disaster averted....I hope

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bolt snapper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not knowing the service history of my '04 5.4, I ordered plugs and coils and spend the majority of my Sunday tackling that fun project. I can't thank the members here enough for the invaluable tips I was able to glean from searches of the topic before I began! I'm sure it wouldn't have gone nearly as well as it did without the guidance!

On the driver's side, I encountered one plug that didn't seem too awfully tight on removal. But then on the passenger side (2nd from the front), the plug was not even snug. When I examined it, the tapered "seat" of the plug was shiny (presumably from all of the blow-by) and the plug was black on the porcelain with soot (again, I'm assuming this was exhaust and combustion mixture escaping).

I was able to torque the new plug at 25 lbs. Any idea if this will hold? Was any damage done during the who-knows-how-long period of time this leak was occurring? Did I dodge a bullet or do I need to be on high alert from this point forward?

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As long as you used Motorcraft plugs you should be fine. If you used Champion, do it over again next weekend with Motorcraft LOL ...
25 lb ft is the proper torque spec....

OP
OP
B

Bolt snapper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used Motorcraft (479). Coils were of undetermined make (Amazon specials). I kept all but the charred up coils for spares.

OP
OP
B

Bolt snapper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've got a buddy with a V-10 Excursion Triton. He called me one Sunday afternoon saying he heard a loud bang and his truck started running rough. Sure enough, it had ejected a plug. He said in retrospect, he had begun hearing a ticking in the weeks leading up to the event. Had to have it towed and the shop did the inserts. Mine had a tick, too, that sounded like an exhaust leak.

I guess if mine's holding the 25 lb torque the head threads aren't damaged too bad?