Driving with tailgate tied down over kayaks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cherryriver

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been covered somewhere, but I can't find it.
We have ten-foot kayaks and just got an '03 to replace our old van. If we wanted to transport the kayaks a modest distance inside, 2nd and 3rd row seats down we'd have to have them sticking out the back and tie/strap down the tailgate onto them.
Will this break the tailigate or its hinges? Again, not for any great distance.
Bill

kep5niner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Roof rack would be a smarter move. Kayaks sticking out of an SUV in Chicago traffic? No part of that sounds like a good idea. Good luck.

OP
OP
Cherryriver

Cherryriver

Reaction score
Hah, the Chicago part is true but we don't go there anymore. Things are somewhat more sane and peaceful out here in the SW burbs.
There's a concern as to roof racks being able to lift the yaks high enough. We're neither tall nor young.

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have hauled plywood, drywall, lumber and other long stuff many times over the years. If it's not very heavy I let it stick out the window and just put folded towels or blankets over the weather stripping to protect it. For heavy stuff I leave the tailgate open some and run straps from the tailgate handle to the trailer hitch safety chain hoops. Never had a problem aside from if it rains some of the tire mist is coming in and will hit you in the back of the head, LOL. I will also say I never really cared too much for it, but not much alternative either.

Kayaks are generally not all that heavy. I would put them out the window I think. I have left it open and tied it down from the latch on the window to the trailer hitch safety chain hoops again.

Heck I haul an extension ladder all the time that sits on the dash and still sticks out the rear window by 3'. I secure it to the 2nd row seats with straps. I also bungee a towel folded over to like 8 layers to the ladder to protect the glass.

EDIT: not saying any of this is a good idea, just what I have done.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
I once squeezed a 14' (12'?) into my standard length XLT but didn't use the rear hatch to tie it down. Hatch was closed over it but not securing it if that makes sense. Harbor Freight trailer makes more sense for routine transport especially for two boats. My '07 may have had cargo rings back there, my '17 does not.

-- Chuck