Expedition Going into Deep Sleep - Battery Low

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Danm355

Reaction score
I have a new to me 22 timberline I just purchased. Admittedly we have been in a detail and equip mode. But I recently noticed the interior lights weren't coming on with an open door. I have fully charged it one time since purchase a month ago. But today I put a voltmeter on it and it read 11.6V. Smart charger on it now at 50%. So I know the obvious of testing the battery and making sure it is ok. I do have a load tester. I will do that tomorrow. But here is my question - is the Expedition much more of a battery hog than others? I have left my Bronco sitting for way longer than the Expedition and my F150 as well. The F150 is a 21. Just trying to get a feel for what I am chasing here. I will respond tomorrow after fully charged and the load test.
It's possible you have a bad battery. I had the same problem with my 2022 Expedition. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the battery under the warranty.

Ugh_J

Reaction score
I went an additional step on my 2020: I used forscan to set the battery target state of charge to 95% (up from the default 80%). For my normal driving habits which are 10-20 minute around-town drives every day, it keeps the battery up around 88-90%. With the default of 80%, mine would regularly drop down into the 60-65% range, which would result in all sorts of things "acting weird," like running board delays, certain audible alerts changing the playback output (piezo speaker instead of the stereo, etc.), and on-dash warnings. They really need to add in another value into the on-board computers named e.g. "AverageRunTime" and factor that into their charge strategy. When the battery is below 70% and you're putting the battery into heavy-drain + auto-start/stop, it's no wonder it dips so low.

2020-MAX-Limited

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Has anyone left their expy at an airport for two/three weeks? With all the electronics onboard, what is the long-term life of a static vehicle battery? I notice with mine, every time I walk past it with or without the fob, I hear small motors, servos or solenoids going off, indicating draw from the battery while static. Anyone have an idea?
I would not worry about leaving the car at the airport. The point of the battery management system is to sacrifice some convenience features to save the battery for the important job of starting the car. Besides, I'm sure the parking facility has a jump start pack in case of emergency anyway. Or you could buy your own jump pack for $100 on Amazon and keep it in the car for peace of mind (not piece of mind!) Just make sure you know how to use the mechanical key to unlock the car and where to put the fob to enable starting if the fob is not recognized.