Garage Door Opener Power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AccraBob

Reaction score
I have a 2014 Expedition XLT with the Car2U garage door opener unit on the driver side sun visor. It seems to have power all the time, whether or not the ignition is on. For home security purposes, I'd prefer that it work only when the vehicle ignition is on.

Anyone have any good ideas how to achieve this?

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Bob,

They are only supposed to be active when the ignition is on. They may stay active after you turn off the key before you open the door like the radio and the windows. That's the way they were on my 05 was and that is the way the 17 is as well.

Hayes Riviere

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Like Andy said, it might just be because you haven't opened the door yet. Try turning the Expedition off and after opening the door, try using the garage door opener. Then, if the opener isn't working properly, it shouldn't open the garage doors.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi Bob,

They are only supposed to be active when the ignition is on. They may stay active after you turn off the key before you open the door like the radio and the windows. That's the way they were on my 05 was and that is the way the 17 is as well.

I have a 2015 Expediton Limited 4 x 4 - the garage door opener is "hot" all the time.

I do not like the location on the driver side sun visor. It prevents a front seat passenger (or if you're on the right side of the car removing an item) from using the opener. Many GM cars have the opener buttons on the overhead console, between the two front seats - which is a more convenient location. Also, if the left sun visor is folded down for sun, the buttons are not readily available.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2015 Expediton Limited 4 x 4 - the garage door opener is "hot" all the time.

I do not like the location on the driver side sun visor. It prevents a front seat passenger (or if you're on the right side of the car removing an item) from using the opener. Many GM cars have the opener buttons on the overhead console, between the two front seats - which is a more convenient location. Also, if the left sun visor is folded down for sun, the buttons are not readily available.
My 09 Mercedes ML350 had them in the center above the review mirror. I really don't have a problem with them on the visor. I'm the only one that drives my truck and if my wife is in the truck, I'm ususally the one to open the garaged door anyway.

In all of the vehicles that I've owned that have had the HomeLink system, none have them have ever stayed hot all of the time and that goes back to 97. That is a safety issue if you leave your vehicle parked outside. There may be power to the control but it will not operate the door. Park your truck. roll down the window, step out, and shut the door come back 5 minutes later, reach through the open window and hit the button and see if it opens. It shouldn't open.

OP
OP
AccraBob

AccraBob

Reaction score
Thanks, ExpeditionAndy and Hayes Riviere, for the info. I had already done the "turn off ignition" and "open door" tests, and while the radio would go off as normal, the garage door buttons kept working.

But when I try the "open window and wait 5 minutes test", the GDO would NOT function. So that is good. But if I open the driver door, even without putting the key in the ignition, the GDO is alive again.

So I think somehow it's tied to the inside lighting timer... we all know the lights time out soon after you leave the vehicle, and they come on when you open a door or unlock the truck. So I suppose that is when the GDO gets powered up again.

Anyone have the same results?

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, ExpeditionAndy and Hayes Riviere, for the info. I had already done the "turn off ignition" and "open door" tests, and while the radio would go off as normal, the garage door buttons kept working.

But when I try the "open window and wait 5 minutes test", the GDO would NOT function. So that is good. But if I open the driver door, even without putting the key in the ignition, the GDO is alive again.

So I think somehow it's tied to the inside lighting timer... we all know the lights time out soon after you leave the vehicle, and they come on when you open a door or unlock the truck. So I suppose that is when the GDO gets powered up again.

Anyone have the same results?
I'll double check mine because I have never noticed it doing that again, but it sure doesn't make sense because if somebody popped your lock and opened your door they could have access to your garage and house if your truck was parked outside. That might be another test. Like before, window down, this time doors locked, pop the lock, I'm sure the alarm will go off and then see if the opener will work. It's just a thought.

Last edited:

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Homelink, the Ford OEM remote control buttons on the visor, is active anytime there's a battery in the vehicle. Have no clue what Car2U garage door opener might be and guess it's an aftermarket item. Since Homelink only used power when a button is pressed it won't hurt to have it hot all the time.

-- Chuck

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Homelink, the Ford OEM remote control buttons on the visor, is active anytime there's a battery in the vehicle. Have no clue what Car2U garage door opener might be and guess it's an aftermarket item. Since Homelink only used power when a button is pressed it won't hurt to have it hot all the time.

-- Chuck
Chuck I think the issue is if the button is always hot and you park outside your garage, then someone could open your door and gain access through the garage door.

OP
OP
AccraBob

AccraBob

Reaction score
Homelink and Car2U are both available as OEM. Mine just came with the package, I didn't specify one or the other. The Expedition manual describes both. I think the issue is the power to the sun visor including the mirror.