Headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I will be getting new headlights this summer, but I haven't decided which ones to get yet. I either want to get black or smoked heads. From what I've seen so far, I like these two.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/97-0...odel:Expedition|Year:1999&hash=item230c12a83a

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/97-0...rQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_3497wt_939

When I get my new headlights, I will also be converting them to HID. I am planning on doing 6Ks, but my question is do you guys think these headlights will work with the HIDs? And can you get HIDs that have high and low beams, or do you need them? I will be mostly traveling Wyoming backroads and mountains, so I won't be coming across many people. I still have some time to make my decisions and do some research, but any input is appreciated.

Zerick

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the 2nd ones all most look like the ones i want to get. maybe instead of getting tires i should get my alarm installed and new head lights. haha but i like the 2nd ones. but i wouldnt do 6k. it has that blueish tint to it. i mean its your choice, but 5k is the whitest of whites. and thats what im going with. and also im really thinking about doing the whole led thing. but idk yet. walnuts says they go out quick, but im thinking leds under the heads but bulbs for the signals. like these. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/97-0...Q5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_6186wt_1165 idk i still like these. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/F150...Q5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_5358wt_1165

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
heres what im going to get soon. now that i found what i wanted. which one?

1.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD...Q5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_6802wt_1165

2.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/97-0...Q5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_4707wt_1165

both have same heads, just the 1st one is $3 more and has a reflector in the corner. which one do you think is better? sorry 99 for a jack. but i put my opinion on yours. haha figured you could look at the ones i picked too since we both have kind of the same tastes. :D

OP
OP
99 Expy

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No worries Panda, the more ideas the better. I like number 2 better. I don't mind the reflector, but I have seen a few different designs of them, and I like them better when they are horizontal. I think the LEDs look good, but I don't think I want them on my rig. I'm still in the air on all of my decisions and haven't done to much research yet. I will look at some pics for the 5Ks, but I thought most people like the 6K, so that's why I was leaning towards them. How about the wattage? The most common are 35 and 55w. I think the 55 would be better since they are brighter? but I don't want to be blinding everybody as I pass them on the road.

OP
OP
99 Expy

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How much less current will HIDs draw? I know it will free up some more power, and since I am planning on 4-6 130 watt lights on top and then converting to HID, will I be ok on the stock wiring, or should I do the big 3? I am planning on doing it sometime, but should it be a concern when I get my roof lights?

Racenut

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is what 35W 8k's look like at night when driving, they do have a slight "blue" tint to them but it is not a lot.

The 6k's have even less they are almost a " pure " white.

If you go with the 55w they will be more on the " white " side because of the higher temp, but they really are not needed. The 55w will produce more glare in a " factory style " ( non projector ) headlight and you will have people flashing you all the time.

They do have " Bi-Xenon " hid's that are both low and high beam hid, that is what I am running and honestley you do not need the hid high beam. The hid high beam is not any brighter on our trucks due to the single bulb design, the only nice thing about having the hid high beam is that they come with the relay harness so you do not have any issues with the high amperage draw at startup

Attachments

• 0221100017a.jpg
    0221100017a.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 54

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the regular non-BI-Xenon 10K HIDS in headlights and fogs and never need my high beams... and if for some reason I do... thats why they make Hellas...lol

but the 10K HIDs are really blue... one day I am thinking of going with 6Ks

OP
OP
99 Expy

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So you guys think 35w 6k bulbs would work best? What about the headlights, would they work fine in the ones I've shown as for them not melting or anything? I guess I don't have to worry much about brights since I will have the roof lights and Hellas behind the grill . . . Maybe they could see me from space lol.

On another note, has anyone ever thought about roof clearance lights? I love the looks of them, and with some extra time, they would be easy to install as long as you could find a decent pair like off of a super duty. . . I like lights :)

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the 6K will look closest to OEM color.... as for housings I have had mine in lightning style heads and now my R8 style heads and they work for me... not as nice as retrofit projectors but after re-aiming my lights they work for me...

clearance lights I thought about for a while but I really don't wanna drill into my roof is the only thing holding me back... but they do look good