How to replace transfer case shifter motor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
While trying to diagnose my drivetrain issue, which I have come to the conclusion it is the transmission. . . I pulled the transfer case out to inspect the internals. Upon reassembling the case, the key that fits inside the shift motor fell out and aligned wrong and cracked the motor. I got everything put together and tested out the motor, and it worked a few times until shorting out. $100 later, I got a new motor and replaced it. Its a simple process once you figure it out. I didn't find anything online showing how, so I'm making one myself.

This is what the motor looks like, and the triangle shape shaft is what wasn't aligned and pushed through and cracked the motor. There are wires that come out of the motor and plug into the wire harness. The connection contains wires from other parts of the transfer case that must be put into this connection as well.
IMG_2246.jpg
IMG_2247.jpg

Here is what the motor looks like assembled with the all of the wires in the harness connected to the motor.
IMG_2250.jpg

After unplugging the harness, you have to pull out the red insert from the inside of the connection on the motor.
IMG_2257.jpg
IMG_2256.jpg

This is what the new connection will look like, to remove the wires, after removing the red piece, there are little tabs that you push out with a screwdriver, then pull out the wire.
IMG_2248.jpg

You have to swap the wires under the truck since the wires you swap go into the transfer case. Here is a pic of the old harness, and it will look the same when you swap all the wires over.
IMG_2254.jpg

This is the new harness before swapping wires. I never marked anything, but just swapped wires out one at a time to avoid confusion.
IMG_2249.jpg

When you reassemble the wires, press them in until you hear them snap in, and when all the wires are swapped, reinsert the red piece and that's all there is.

When putting the motor back on, this is what the key insert from the t case looks like.
IMG_2255.jpg

It is much easier than it looks, and only took me about 15 minutes to swap them out once I found out what to do. Let me know if you have any questions, and hope it helps somebody out!! Oh and to save you the trouble, if you ever split your t case, just pull the motor off to begin with :)